See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

which tablett to buy

Hello group,

I am planning to buy a new device, possibly a tablett. It should consume very little power - much less than 20 Watts. I need it for application in a R.V. (camper) where I have satellite DSL and a WLAN router.

What I want to do is
    1. read my scientific literature as PDF-Files
    2. doing some programming mostly in Python (incl. a lot of privately installed library like e.g. "numpy", "matplotlib") and C/C++
    3. being able to do some grafics (e.g. from matplotlib)
    4. making hardcopy via LAN/WLAN on my network printer
    5. some other sfuff like internet (firefox and email) etc.

would this be possible??

Apart from point 1 and 5 I don't see really see a tablet fit for your purpose. I see tablets and mobile devices more suitable for audio and video play rather than productivity.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ottavio View Post
    Apart from point 1 and 5 I don't see really see a tablet fit for your purpose. I see tablets and mobile devices more suitable for audio and video play rather than productivity.
    Thanks Ottavio, this is my impression, too ... but perhaps anybody here in the group has a good idea ... (e.g. I have an iPhone: and I recently downloaded a Python environment, however this was all of it ... if it comes to real working: it failed ...

You can't develop on the mobile device itself. You have to test your code or some emulator first, so at the moment you'll have to develop on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by ottavio View Post
    You can't develop on the mobile device itself. You have to test your code or some emulator first, so at the moment you'll have to develop on the PC.
    Yes this is a very sad fact. Do you by chance know whether development in Python is possible ...

My actual problem is: my notebook consumes too much power when in my camper (only on battery 80 - 100Ah with DC-AC converter) - therefore I need a smaller device - I thought a tablett would be fine, but evidently I have to stick with that notebook ... (which consumes about 20 W) - Do you know about small notebooks with litte power consumption (betw. 5 - 15 W) ??

Last edited by kampmannpeine; 03-18-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: forgot something!

Alternatively you could root the tablet and install busybox and you would have a complete gnu-compatible environment. But you have to try it yourself, I haven't tried it myself.

Device(s)
    Nexus 7, Nexus 4, LG Optimus V
    How about using something like the raspberry pi for doing your programming in Python? http://www.newark.com/jsp/bespoke/be...ccessories.jsp

It isn't a tablet - but it is a cost effective way to have a device to program with.

Now I gave in and got a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet ... I just was impatient ... Helas. It is good for reading etc. but I found no way to work in python ... What I am planning is to work with teamviever - now sitting on my couch and having my bigger Debian machine running in the background ... Maybe there is somebody with a good idea ... inparticular for my camper

thnx so far

I see tablets and mobile devices more suitable for audio.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotJesica View Post
    I see tablets and mobile devices more suitable for audio.

Have you thought about something with the Haswell processor? I also am looking to get something with low battery drain, but I need to use Blender Publisher, while sitting and making 3D models of plants, buildings, etc. without being plugged in, but not for rendering, as that can be done on my home network.
    I have been looking over things for awhile, and Haswell seems my best bet for low power consumption, with possibly, the Ubuntu touch for the OS ( I know this is an Android site, and it is a possible OS, If I can use Blender.). I don't know though as I need to learn more. Blender might not work with Touch, I need to look further, would like advice myself, even if I don't follow it, I will appreciatte it.

Last edited by oldhobo; 09-18-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Device(s)
    Doogee Dagger DG550, Chinese 9" tablet Linux Laptop
    Look at Terminal IDE. At present it only has Java and C/C++, with bash and vim (as opposed to the standard busybox vi, rather than Monty's Circus. Lets you telnet (or ssh) into your phone and work from your main machine via wifi when at home. It *may* be possible to build python with this but no guarantees

norman
    If at first you don't succeed - give someone else a go