need help to set up wireless hotspot on Motorola Android 2.2

I can't find anything on my phone other than "tethering" under Settings/Wireless Networks/Tethering. How can I go about setting up wireless hotspot? Please help. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Device(s)
    Motorola Electrify M
    Depending on your carrier, you probably have an app called "3gHotspot" or something similar. Generally speaking, these apps cost extra money to use. If you are using a custom ROM, most have the hotspot settings in the same place as the wi-fi settings.

HTH
    Dave

Gosh, I wonder if you're still looking here! Well, this may help someone else if not you. (Then again, it may not help anyone -- I may be told to pound sand! )

First of all, you may or may not know that in order to do a wireless tether (that is, use your phone's 3G access to provide Internet access for another wireless device such as a laptop computer), you must subscribe to the often-optional data service such as Verizon's "Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect" package. Huh? Did you say, "Huh?" OK, so did I; and then I learned this:

I have a Motorola Droid-X from Verizon. That phone requires a data plan which costs $20 per month (nominally) and which allows me to use the 3G network without restriction. However, it does NOT allow me to use my phone as a mobile hotspot for connecting other devices (such as my laptop computer). The extra data package now known as "Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect" was called something else at the time I bought my Droid-X, but was essentially the same thing. It would have cost me an additional $30 per month. I was told by my salesperson that if I did not want to pay the extra $30 per month (I did NOT!!!), there were ways around that which he would explain. However, the way around it is that I would have to use a USB tether and it would allow only one tethered device at a time.

Well, that was a "no-brainer" because if somebody wants to get Internet service for their laptop, they can get their own stuff! I don't need to be sharing my limited bandwidth with a bunch of poachers at the rest area, right?

If this is a satisfactory solution for you and you asked about "wireless hotspot" just because that seems to be the term du jour, then read on!

There is a free app called "Easy-tether" which you can obtain for various devices, but especially for Android devices. It consists of a pair of programs: one runs on the Android device and the other runs on the computer (PC or Mac). Use your computer to visit the site, www . mobile-stream . com/easytether/android.html. (I don't know if active links are allowed here, so I put spaces in the url which you'll have to remove. Anyway, go to mobile-stream and get the appropriate free program for your computer and follow the very simple instructions to install it. Then get the Android app for your phone.

Now, I'm using a Windows XP computer, so I'll tell you what I see. In my SysTray (lower right corner) is an icon which resembles a mobile phone with a dipole antenna sticking out the right side. When I hover with my mouse, it displays "EasyTether - not connected."

OK, I just now attached my Droid-X to this computer with a USB. Immediately, the SD card is dismounted from the phone and is mounted as a "Removable Disk" called "MOT" and assigned the letter "J:" because I have a lot of other drives already. Also, Internet Explorer started and presented the Motorola V-Cast Media Manager screen (which I did not want, so I closed it). Now, my computer is back to normal. The SD card is part of my computer now so I can upload or download to/from it. It will automatically remount to the Droid-X when I am finished with my "demo." But the phone still works as a phone and I can still do everything like use Firefox, GMail, and such as that with the phone other than the restriction of how long my USB cable is. You could have a pretty long USB which you can get for very little moolah from Monoprice dot com. My Droid-X uses a 5-pin micro USB and Monoprice has a fifteen foot USB 2.0 A Male to micro 5-pin male (Item 5460) for $1.98. That's the maximum length permitted under USB specification, so just get one or two of them!

Now, to begin the tether!

On my Droid, I select the EasyTether app. In my case it is called EasyTether Pro. The top item is Connections under which is listed USB Enable to allow USB tethering. I did that.

On my computer, I right-click the EastTether icon. A menu pops up and I select "Connect via Anrdoid (long number). The "long number" is the identity of the EasyTether app running on my Droid-X. I don't remember having the number until I upgraded, but more about that later. I click on "Connect via Android (long number)" and I now have another network connection for my computer.

Since I was already connected, that's no big deal, but I assure you this is as easy as falling off a log. To prove it, I open a DOS window and execute the command "ipconfig" and my display shows two Ethernet adapters. One is my usual Local Area Network Connection with my local IP: 192.168.40.56 and the other is called Local Area Connection 3 with an IP: 192.168.117.2

Now, why did I upgrade to EasyTether Pro? Well, as you know, most "Free" apps are limited. The limitation of EasyTether is that it does not support https connections. You'll want that in my opinion. And, the ten dollar fee is a one time fee for your phone. You can install the software on as many computers as you need, but the license is to the phone which you carry around. If your phone crashes and you need help, the vendor promises to help you get back on your feet (so to speak) but I've not had to ask for any help.

As an experiment, I shut down my cable modem and ran my wife's desktop computer off my phone's tether for an entire day and we did not notice any problems. I also used it for my laptop by turning off the laptop's Wi-Fi and . . .

When you want to stop the tether, just right-click on the EasyTether icon on your computer and select "Disconnect."

Well, I just can't say enough about how nice this app is to have. Of course, there is so much you can do with the Android device that you may have to conjure up a bizarre situation where you would actually need this. But, my brother-in-law has a Mac G30 and he is moving to a place where he will not have Inernet service for a while until he gets situated. He also has a Droid-X and plans to use it to allow him to use his "Fruit" computer in his new digs for a while. The other nice thing is that the phone's battery gets charged while all this is going on!

I hope this helps somebody.

Chas :-)