Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II

The Impact of Android on Computing

Hello,

196547_10150523426565343_602960342_17990372_7882171_n.jpg

well at first mobile devices hardly appeared to be a replacement for PC's but with more and more android devices getting activated with greater specs it seems that we're seeing a clear trend....

could it be possible that we shall have more android devices (or mobile devices/computers in general) than PC's in the near future ?
    can you imagine buying a top notch android mobile device rather than buying a laptop or desktop pc for instance?

what do you think?

cheers

Not really. It's the same as with tablets such as iPad, at least for now: you really can't work with them the way you can with a traditional computer system. The android devices, like other similar gadgets, can't typically even run some basic software one would need to do a lot of work (take Vim for a simple example), not to mention big programs like a TeX system or raw photo tools. Then there's the usability: doing other work than pointing big touchbuttons and dragging objects about with little accuracy is hard. Try typing a short book with today's Android device of your choice and you're bound to die of old age before it's (well) done Or try to do CAD drawing of a house. These things are handy for a variety of tasks such as guiding (with maps) and small odd jobs, but before something very fundamental changes, they're not going to replace PCs, just complement them. Unless all you do with your laptop is listening to music, of course

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II

Original Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by b0uncer View Post
    Not really. It's the same as with tablets such as iPad, at least for now: you really can't work with them the way you can with a traditional computer system. The android devices, like other similar gadgets, can't typically even run some basic software one would need to do a lot of work (take Vim for a simple example), not to mention big programs like a TeX system or raw photo tools. Then there's the usability:
    Admittedly yes , actually that was my thinking too ..
    actually i'd say that usability is the one and only issue because everything else such as CPU , Storage ..etc are being quickly improved besides if you add things like cloud computing then we're talking about a whole new era of computational performance.

doing other work than pointing big touchbuttons and dragging objects about with little accuracy is hard. Try typing a short book with today's Android device of your choice and you're bound to die of old age before it's (well) done Or try to do CAD drawing of a house.
    Yeah sure it'd be a PITA however i know somebody who draws CAD's with a laptop's touchpad but definitely at a sub-optimal rate , eitherway i won't be comfortable with that .... as a power PC/Linux user for several years absolutely nothing beats a keyboard and an optical mouse !!

but before something very fundamental changes, they're not going to replace PCs, just complement them.
    Well speaking of fundamental and visionary changes .... I KNOW where we are heading and to be accurate it's already starting now!
    take a look at this :

http://www.emotiv.com/store/

now this has been around for a year , strangely i've not seen anybody using this in real life except on the web .... if you hook that over bluetooth to your android phone with the proper dirvers and app then you'd transform it (and yourself) into a true CYBORG !!! buhhahahaha

the only thing that is missing is a feedback/input channel back into your brain and the transformation would be completely full circle !

Cyberpunk here we come ...

cheers

Last edited by entz; 08-01-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Device(s)
    google nexus one / cyanogenmod7 HP touchpad / webOS for a limited time Dell e6510 / linux fedora & ms-windows 7 ; linux has aosp and SDK others

impact of android

Android will have and has enormous impact. At the risk of starting as a heretic remember android is the GUI on android devices linux is the base os. Look at the HTC Leo. Many are dual boot ms-window phone and android.
    this means HP for example should have better understood the touchpad and its echo system before giving up. The HP touchpad already has linux as an is as so-called webOS was simply the GUI. Cyanogenmod is awesome. These devices are still in there infancy. Check out the specs of the Asus wee pad transformer prime. Hold on to your (red) hats as more hardware becomes available there will be more hacks. Does anyone know what is in the rim playbook? Rim should pause before they kill the play book. How about the manufacturer offering a reward for droiding an otherwise proprietary device?
    cheers
    chris-do-Algarve

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I meant eee pad. Bugger auto correct.