Is the adb tool from android SDK limited to writing to the internal storage only?

hey android fans

I have a samsung galaxy reverb with android 4.1.2

I recent installed android SDK and I have been able to push files to the internal storage. However, when I want to push files to the external storage, I get permission denied error. Is this normal with adb, is it limited to writing to the internal storage only?

The only way I can add files to my external storage is by removing the microsd card and using a card reader or using Airdroid or file Expert HD.

I appreciate any feedbacks

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    What's the exact command you're using and the exact error message you're getting? You should have no problem using adb to push files to the SD card.

--jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    What's the exact command you're using and the exact error message you're getting? You should have no problem using adb to push files to the SD card.

--jeremy
    Sorry for the delay in getting back. When I write to the internal storage I get no permission denied error and it gets copied.
    Code:
    adb push cg.mp4 /sdcard/Movies

However, when I want to put a file on the external storage
    Code:
    adb push cg.mp4 /mnt/extSdCard/Videos/
    Here is the error I get
    failed to copy 'cg.mp4' to '/mnt/extSdCard/Videos/cg.mp4': Permission denied

Until I can figure out why, I have to use other mehods to write to the external storage. Thanks for the reply

I doubt there will be any solutions to this. I've seen many similar situations from my google search on using adb to push files to the external card with no real cure for it.

I guess adb only writes to internal storage only. So, I will use adb to write to internal storage and use the other methods to write to the external storage.

Last edited by annonyxxxx; 05-24-2013 at 11:32 PM.

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    Code:
    adb push test.txt /mnt/extSdCard
    works as expected for me (on a rooted Samsung Galaxy s3). What does the output of `mount` show for the /mnt/extSdCard mount?

--jeremy

My phone is not rooted. But here is the mount for external storage

/dev/block/vold/179:33 /storage/extSdCard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime, uid=1000,gid=1023,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utim e=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

A few months ago it was /mnt/extSdCard and now it is /storage/extSdCard after a 4.1.2 upgrade from virgin mobile. Either way, adb can't write to the external storage.

I still can write to internal storage with adb. Right now, I use other methods to write to the external storage.

If the culprit is a unrooted phone that is dumb. The external card doesn't contain system critical files or libraries. It's just multimedia files.

Last edited by annonyxxxx; 05-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.