See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, ASUS eee Pad Transformer

Unhappy Galaxy S2 very slow and unstable after OTA firmware update to official JellyBean 4.1.2

This is my first post to Android Questions so hope this is the correct forum.

I've had a Galaxy S2 since new and updated the Honeycomb firmware to Ice Cream Sandwich some time ago without any subsequent problems.

However, after waiting a long time for the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OTA firmware update to be available, I ran the update okay but the phone is now very slow and unstable.
    Examples are:
    - slower boot
    - home pages slow to refresh and to navigate
    - frequent freezing in basic system apps such as Contacts, often requiring a restart

Many of my installed apps have since been updated, I assume for new Jelly Bean features, and don't seem to be otherwise affected.

Phone version details:
    - PDA : I9100XWLSS
    - PHONE : I9100XXMS2
    - CSC : I9100XEULS4
    - BUILD : Mon Apr 22 15:48:6 KST 2013

Storage:
    - Phone : 11.5 GB, 7.15 GB free
    - SD Card : 7.5 GB, 4.10 GB free

Most apps are installed on the phone rather than the SD card.

Phone has never been rooted.

Any ideas why the performance has degraded and how to improve it?

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    Welcome to AQ. This seems to be a fairly common issue. Have you tried a factory reset? If not, this seems to help for most people. Make sure you do a full backup before the reset, if you do choose to go that route. Let us know if it helps.

--jeremy

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Thanks Jeremy - I'm glad to hear this is a common issue
    A factory reset did cross my mind but I'm unsure what the state of the phone would be afterwards and do not relish having to reinstall all the apps.
    When you say "full backup", how exactly do I do it, and more importantly how do I restore it to my phone after the reset?
    My contacts etc are backed up automatically and I think I tried a full backup with a PC sync tool but have never tried recovery/restore to know that it works.

Neil

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    A factory reset will reset your device to the same state as it shipped when new, so you'll lose everything. When you log in with your Google account your Play apps and contacts will be restored. You'll want to backup and restore everything else (SMS/MMS, data, pictures, settings, etc.). I would recommend either Titanium Backup Pro or MyBackup Pro (both are well tested, mature and easy to use).

--jeremy

2 members found this post helpful.

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Ok, that's much as would expect. So I assume that after a factory reset it will be back on the original supplied Honeycomb build, which means ICS and JB (if I was daft enough to try it again) would still be available as firmware updates?

I'll probably get a phone upgrade in 4-5 months so will decide on the least painful path.

I'll have a look at the backup programs you suggest in any case.

Thanks for the advice.

Neil

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    A factory reset will not impact your android version in any way. If you're on Jelly Bean now, you'll be on Jelly Bean after the reset, but your apps/data/files/etc will be gone.

--jeremy

2 members found this post helpful.

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Thanks that's reassuring, I'll probably give it a go then.

Neil

i use i9300, my friend also use i9300 , but he said he root it to android 2.3, seems run faster, is that really?

Device(s)

Original Poster
    After weeks of the phone freezing and frequently needing a restart I decided to bite the bullet and try a factory reset. I checked out Titanium Backup Pro but decided on MyBackup (free limited trial version) as it worked on non-rooted phones although was restricted to backing up to SD card only....not a problem, or so I thought.

I downloaded the MyBackup app and moved it to the SD card as recommended. I then backed up all the apps and files (music, pics and videos were already on the SD card), then the app data and settings to the SD card. The backup summary showed everything as I expected so I naively thought all was okay. I've been in the IT business long enough to know better but I didn't verify this by independently checking the SD card contents.

So I did the factory reset and messed up the Google logon on restart so nothing was restored by Google. Did a restart and no Google logon prompt so I tried to find the saved MyBackup app, but it wasn't on the SD card so I had to download it again. I was getting concerned at this stage. On running MyBackup I tried the app restore which found the backup but then failed to process it (I forget the error message). No surprise that the app data was also missing. When I then checked the file contents, there was only a folder with several dozen files (file type asc or something similar I think but academic if I couldn't restore anything).

As a result I have spent the rest of the day downloading and installing about 100 apps from the Play Store...simple but tedious as only one at a time, and then rebuilding the phone to my required settings. I had a 5 month old SMS backup that I managed to restore but not a lot of use. I also use WhatsApp a lot and luckily this restored everything from the server. My contacts are there but not quite up to date.

So all in all rather a disaster....I just hope the phone is now more stable after the reset.

Apart from my obvious oversight in not double checking the backup before the reset, I'm not sure what went wrong but I would like to understand it so I can do a backup and restore properly the next time, probably when I migrate to a new phone later this year. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Neil

A hard reset generally clears up issues where the S2x appears to run sluggishly. Make a backup of what you want to save, the reset will wipe all saved data. (If you lost your saved data, Sumsang S2 Data Recovery can help you.)

Settings > Backup and reset > place check-mark in Back up my data check box.
    Place check-mark in Automatic restore check box. (both areas may already be check-marked or enabled by default).

Go to: Settings > Backup and reset > (if you scroll down, you will see Format USB storage). Tap Factory data reset.

The format USB step is optional. If you format USB storage you will lose all data, music and photos. The factory reset will restore the device back to factory and you should see an increase in performance.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Last edited by BillEwing; 10-27-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Thanks for the reset advice. As per my last post, I had done a reset but messed up the restore, nonetheless the phone was certainly performing better afterwards on Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

I'm just about to migrate from my S2 to a new S4 so will be using MyBackup Pro (only tried the free version before). Will post any resultant issues in a new thread.

Neil

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilForde View Post
    I'm just about to migrate from my S2 to a new S4 so will be using MyBackup Pro (only tried the free version before). Will post any resultant issues in a new thread.
    This is for information only so probably doesn't deserve a new thread.

I had some major issues with MyBackup Pro that might have been my fault or probably just my ignorance with Android file systems in general (although I have had some limited experience with Unix many years ago which helped a little).

The backups (Apps and data) were easy and I had a choice of SD card or cloud storage so I chose SD card. The backups were in the /storage/sdcard0/external_sd/rerware/MyBackup/ folder which seemed okay as MyBackup Pro could find them afterwards.

According to the Android application manager MyBackup Pro was also on the SD card (or so I thought).

The problem came after putting the (micro) SD card in my new phone when I couldn't find the MyBackup Pro app. I also could not find any backup files on the SD card. I spent half a day puzzling what was wrong and, to cut a long story short, eventually deduced that the SD card containing the backups and the MyBackup Pro app was actually internal to the phone - the one I wanted was the external SD card. So I copied the rerware folder to my external SD card, reinstalled MyBackup Pro from Google Play and ran the restores successfully.

So I have learnt the hard way and now know what to do next time. I realise the purpose of an internal SD card which is not removable is solely to provide non-volatile storage within the device. But my concern is that MyBackup Pro is highly rated and I am surprised that it is unable to backup to an external SD card which would seem to be a fundamental requirement. I guess the obvious answer is to use networked storage - maybe I'll try that next time.

Neil