Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1

    Unhappy Ogg Vorbis local file playback

    I have a subtle but extremely irritating problem with playing music on
    my Nexus tablet (Nexus 7, Android 4.2.2, kernel 3.1.10-g05b777c).

    When playing locally stored albums of ogg vorbis files, at the beginning
    of each song (*except* the first song of an album) maybe 1 second into
    the song or even less there is a "tear" or "drop" in the sound, as if
    the playback stopped for a fraction of a second and then resumed. It
    happens with all player apps I tried, about 10 of them, including the
    stock Google player, which makes me think it is a problem in some shared
    library rather than the apps themselves.

    It does *not* happen when I stream music from the net. When playing a
    single song in isolation I don't hear the tear effect but it seems the
    playback starts late, sometimes skipping a note or 2. So I wonder if
    the software is confused about the timing of the songs, and is trying to
    insert a pause which belongs before songs 1 and 2 (for example) but puts
    it too late so it falls within song 2. I know it is not a problem with
    the data, as it plays perfectly on my Linux desktop (mpd + ncmpcpp).

    It also seems to only occur for albums I have ripped from CDs. For
    those I digitized from LPs or tapes (also into ogg), they play fine.
    But that may be because I habitually inserted 5 seconds or so of silence
    before each song when digitizing.

    Note that I am *not* asking for "gapless playback" which seems to be
    some kind of holy grail these days. I am very old school and I want
    clear gaps *between* songs - just not *inside* songs, thank you.

    Any solutions or hints earn virtual beers

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by nobrowser View Post

    I have a subtle but extremely irritating problem with playing music on
    my Nexus tablet (Nexus 7, Android 4.2.2, kernel 3.1.10-g05b777c).
    I tried ogg files that I encoded from virtual albums which already came
    in separate track files, and those didn't show the problem. I concluded
    that it was the way cdparanoia (which I use for ripping) cuts the
    tracks, combined perhaps with the issue described at [1]. Still
    wondering why mpd copes with it as well as it does, though.

    As for a solution, I noticed that although the stock player also had the
    problem it was much more tolerable than with the apps, so I just
    uninstalled the app. (Then I had to find a way to get my cover art back
    as the stock player is much stupider about it, but that's a different
    story.)

    [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...edit&section=4



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •