Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any recommendations for tablets under $100

I a in the market for a low price tablet for under a hundred dollars. I have been looking at a Zeki 7" tablet which runs jelly bean. I want to know what this community thinks of the zeki tablet. I was going to buy this as a gift but I myself have a nexus 7 which works beautifully but is beyond the budget since I don't have as much money I did when I got the nexus. I want to know if that it will run chrome, youtube, adobe reader, games and google now. I also read that it works through the amazon app store but I want it to work with the google play store. What do you think of this tablet if you have experience with these tablets. here is a link to the best buy page for it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Zeki+-+T...specifications

Device(s)
    Motorola Electrify M
    Honestly, a sub $100 tablet is going to be a big cheap phone without the cellular radio it in. Many actually have a phone CPU and graphics chip.

That being said, they aren't useless, just severely limited in what they can do.

A better option may be to put a little extra money in and get something like a Kindle Fire or even a Nook color. Having to pay more is never fun, but spending what you do have on something you quickly outgrow isn't much fun either.

HTH
    Dave

I know its not Android, but a blackberry playbook can sometimes be had for a reasonable price. Its orphaned by blackberry basically and they never put 10.x or whatever on it. Having said that, the hardware quality is pretty good and if you have Windows, the backup and restore features are free of charge from Blackberry. it can also bridge to a phone and thus give you Internet without your cell company finding out.

The touchscreen keyboard is excellent and there is no need for a bluetooth keyboard.

Its not the fastest thing in the world out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Pla...ook+blackberry

Here's a handy stand for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Rap...ook+blackberry

It'll do most basic tablet stuff. A bonus is that you get better then average security.

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    I purchased a few cheap tablets one as a gift for a family member and a couple for development in work because we do provide Android apps as part of solutions. What I've found in almost all cases was that the cheapness of the product made for a cheap battery and no matter what we tried, we could not configure it so that it would conserve battery well enough. Literally we'd lose 75% of the battery in an hour, whereas on something like a Nexus 7 we see all day battery use, above 50%. In fact the only real reason we don't know how long we could go is mainly because we'd plug it in to charge overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by AsusDave View Post
    Honestly, a sub $100 tablet is going to be a big cheap phone without the cellular radio it in. Many actually have a phone CPU and graphics chip.

That being said, they aren't useless, just severely limited in what they can do.

A better option may be to put a little extra money in and get something like a Kindle Fire or even a Nook color. Having to pay more is never fun, but spending what you do have on something you quickly outgrow isn't much fun either.

HTH
    Dave
    I do agree with Dave, hmm, anyway, you might get a device on that price but the quality is not guaranteed, maybe you can wait and save a little more, hmm, or, you can find Pre-used phones, maybe..that you might get with cheaper price.

Kindle Fire w/KitKat...

I have the first gen Kindle Fire running KK 4.4.2. This is just to learn on. And, yes, I'm having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirric View Post
    I have the first gen Kindle Fire running KK 4.4.2. This is just to learn on. And, yes, I'm having fun!
    I think you're lost, hmmm

Search H701. Just bought one from Gearbest and am v pleased with it.

Device(s)
    Kyocera Brigadier Dell Venue 8
    The main issue with those is your limited on flash and ram. I just bought my son a $159 dell which has 16G flash and 1G ram or a year ago bought my Dell which and 2G of ram and 32g flash. For just a little more you can up the cost.
    If you were going to be single tasking with a tablet, then less might make sense.

> The main issue with those is your limited on flash and ram

Quite true, but all I wanted was a reliable, inexpensive development platform, and at $45 it's hard to beat!

Quote Originally Posted by tekra View Post
    > The main issue with those is your limited on flash and ram

Quite true, but all I wanted was a reliable, inexpensive development platform, and at $45 it's hard to beat!
    Hmmm, is it really that hard to beat?

No, he's not lost. The Fire is an Android tablet.
    ______
    Dennis

What I have is an Azpen A727, list price $80, that I got for $40.

What I use at the moment is the Azpen A727. It's Yet Another Chinese Tablet aimed at the budget market.

It has a dual core Allwinner23 CPU (ARM Cortex 7 design) at 1.4ghz, 4GB Flash, 512MB RAM, and a 7" 800x480 7" screen. There is a microSD slot to take up to a 32GB expansion card. It runs Android 4.2.2 Jellybean, Retail price is $80. The one I have cost $40.

I actually have two of them. The original joined the family when Midwest computer retailer Micro Center opened a store near me, and a coupon offering a 7" Android for $20 as a grand opening promotion. Sold! It was an inexpensive way to play ion the Android pool. It's main purpose in life would be eBook viewer, with anything more than that gravy, and if that's all I did with it it would be more than worth the price. As it happened, I could do rather more with it.

The second joined the family when the microSD card slot developed issues, and the device could not take a charge or connect to the host PC. It was on sale at Micro Center for $40.

The big limitation was limited app storage. The Flash was partitioned, with 787MB available to hold programs, and 1GB seen as an internal SD card. Some Android apps could be partially installed on the card, but even doing so storage got exhausted fast.

The first step was rooting it. I found a guide at a Wordpress blog with instructions that is no longer on line. Another that has instructions is here: https://annoyingtechnicaldetails.wor...et-azpen-a727/ (I have not tried these recommendations, and cannot personally vouch for them.)

Once rooted, I could hack. It is possible to store Android apps on an external card and run them from there. The issue is the file system. SD cards come formatted as FAT32, and FAT has no place to store the metadata needed, like permissions data. I put the 32GB microSD card in a card reader, and repartitioned it from Windows. I carved out a separate 2GB slice and formatted it as ext4, using the freeware Minitool Partition Manager (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html), and marked the partition as primary. I put the card back into the A727 and rebooted it. The tablet recognized the new file system and mounted it.

To use it, I used a freeware Android utility called Link2SD, available from the Play Store. You download an app to internal storage, then you use Link2SD to move it to the card. IT performs the move and creates a symlink in the root filesystem, and Android can see and run the app from the card. By default it moves the app and the Dalvik cache file, but you can move libraries (if any) and app internal data too. (You need to experiment on the latter - not all apps work if you do it.)

At this point, I have everything including the kitchen sink installed, and the A7627 still thinks I have about 300MB of free application storage.

In practice, 512MB RAM has not been a limitation, and the dual core CPU makes performance snappier than you might expect.

Another limitation is no Bluetooth. The omission seems to be a "design to cost" matter. What this means in practice is that I must connect an external keyboard via USB, and an OTG connector lets me uise my existing Logitech portable KB.

Down the road, I'm looking at a more powerful device with a larger, higher resolution screed, but the A727 was a cheap way to learn and does what I got it to do plus a fair bit more.
    ______
    Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 04-15-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Just bought the Nextbook Ares 8 at Walmart - $78. Screen is 8". Has Lollipop (5.0), 16GB of memory, 1.83GHz, microHDMI slot (but no microHDMI cable - one at Big Lots for $17), microSD slot, not a bad little machine for the money. Lot of mixed reviews - most of bad reviews deal with it not working or failing shortly afterwards - within a few days to a couple of weeks. I had mine for a month now, knock on wood. The only problems I have had was getting a 16GB microSD card to seat, which it did after a few attempts and having to press and hold the On/Off button a few times to get it to turn on. When turning off, single press of the power button appears to put it in "sleep mode" (no "power off?" message to click). A double press brings up the "power off?" message to click and turn off power. The battery life is supposed to be 7 hours. Have not verified - probably will vary with apps being used.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc4012 View Post
    When turning off, single press of the power button appears to put it in "sleep mode" (no "power off?" message to click). A double press brings up the "power off?" message to click and turn off power.
    The action of the power button probably varies. Just pressing it on my tablet turns off the screen. Press and hold for > 3 seconds brings up a shutdown/reboot dialog.

The battery life is supposed to be 7 hours. Have not verified - probably will vary with apps being used.
    The biggest consumers of battery I'm aware of are the screen and wifi. I set the screen brightness to the lowest level I can easily view. Wifi is normally off unless I specifically need to connect for some reason. The main purpose in life for my device is eBook viewer, and books are stored locally on a microSD card.

Battery life has been acceptable, and it generally gets topped of nightly.
    ______
    Dennis