See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Saving SMS from Galaxy 3 to Windows computer

Hi

I have a broken Galaxy 3 phone where the screen suddenly stopped functioning with a total blackout so I can't use the phone at all. There is no problem getting the phone fixed in a couple of days but the problem is I want to save all my messages, contacts and other data, especially one conversation text message thread that has gone on for about a year, to my pc. I want the information to be able to be viewed independently on my computer like I read emails etc. and then I can store it on a portable hard drive. Samsung kies doesn't seem to allow for this. The shop representing Samsung who will fix the phone said that everything gets wiped and they won't even have Kies on their computers because they think its unstable software. Ideally it would be great if there was some kind of software for my computer that enabled it to read all the info on the phone as if it were an mp3 connected by USB and then I could simply copy and paste across from phone to computer. The phone is recognised by the computer through the USB but obviously it can't read inside the folders on the phone which just show as empty. Anybody know of anything to get the results I want? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Motorola Electrify M
    What about one of the many options in the Play Store for SMS backup apps?
    They run the gambit from sending a copy of your texts in your gmail account to exporting your text conversations to txt files that can be saved and read on your computer.

HTH
    Dave

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Dave. I was hoping to avoid Google as they want to take over everything, and know all your business in the process. I don't use gmail for that reason. Is there an independent similar software? If not maybe I will have to go that route.

Device(s)
    Motorola Electrify M
    Yeah, there are many many apps to choose from.
    When I search for "SMS Backup" in the Play Store I get 3,261 results for apps.
    I feel quote confident you can find one what will let you backup to a file, format, or place you would find acceptable.

HTH
    Dave

Dave Aren't the apps in the Play Store for the phone to download and operate? Don't forget my phone screen has completely blacked out so everything I do needs to be operated from my computer which recognises the phone through the USB port. The phone itself cannot operated anything. I can get it repaired in an instant but they told me they would wipe everything first.

Device(s)
    Motorola Electrify M
    oh....
    well... this is awkward!

For some reason, the fact your screen is broken completely didn't register in my head when I read your post. Sorry about that.

Does your phone have the option to connect it to a TV via HDMI cable? I used to have a phone that could do that. It might allow you to get an app installed.

You might could also find a local helpful cell phone company. They used to make a box for transferring data between phones (can't remember the name of it). Slip them some cash and they might be able to download your texts to an SD card possibly.

HTH
    Dave

The shops are really unhelpful. They don't seem to know much. I went to a Samsung agent and my own network service provider. No I don't think there is a connection for TV/HMDI. I was supplied a USB cable, unless there is some kind of adaptor I can get. I need to get this phone sorted soon because my warranty runs out. Can I transfer the text messages to SD card myself? I think you can get a SD card reader on Amazon.

You should be able to connect the phone to your computer with the USB cable, and access all the files on the phone. I'm not certain of the exact folder, since I don't do SMS at all, but the files are on there somewhere. Browse with Windows Exploder and you should find them eventually. Or better, your Linux file manager of choice.

I wish it were that simple but the SMS is in a code not recognised by the computer so the folders just show as empty. That's why I was wondering about an SD reader? But if you know something I don't please explain in more detail, thanks.

I'm shooting in the dark here, since I've deleted the SMS app from my phone. I'm not certain exactly where or how the messages are stored. Installing an SMS backup app would be the prudent thing to do, and I would suggest that on your new phone, but it's obviously too late for that for this phone. You can have apps installed to your phone from your PC by going to the Playstore in your browser. That doesn't solve the problem of running the app, though. One way would be to get an HDMI adapter and connecting the phone to an HDMI-capable monitor or TV, and using a bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse to run the apps. That's not hard, but it is somewhat complicated, expensive, and time-consuming. You have to decide whether it's all worth it for the messages.