See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

share/sync between Note phone and Note tablet

Where do I find apps and other tricks for sharing information and resources between my Note phone and Note tablet?
    There is this Samsung thing call AllShare™ but it is very Samsung specific and it seems to require a newer edition of Jelly Bean [aka, v4.2.x] than is
    available for either my tablet or phone to date.

I have installed Remote Web Desktop (paid) on both devices so I can use a browser, reach out and access the other device ... sort of.
    I'm hoping that someone knows about shared display, camera, storage and other ways that I might reach out and touch the other
    device.

I have a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet and a Galaxy Note (1) phone. Both run Jelly Bean v4.1.2 but the phone has a lot of carrier baggage.
    The tablet is wifi only. The phone is 4G LTE with mobile hotspot enabled through my carrier plan.

Thanks in advance,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan

I have the Note 2 and a laptop - same comms problem. I paired them using bluetooth. There's a bluetooth file share app. It took a little work on the linux laptop but is pretty painless on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
    I have the Note 2 and a laptop - same comms problem. I paired them using bluetooth. There's a bluetooth file share app. It took a little work on the linux laptop but is pretty painless on Android.
    Which app are you using on the Note phone?
    Which distro are you running? What are you doing on the laptop: scripts? utilities? GUI? etc.

Thanks,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDanBert View Post
    Which app are you using on the Note phone?
    Which distro are you running? What are you doing on the laptop: scripts? utilities? GUI? etc.

Thanks,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan
    On the laptop, I have XFCE's Blueman manager. Bluezd & obexftp are also installed, and should be on any laptop you want to use bluetooth on.

On the Note, You can 'Send Via' <whatever> It's the dog-leg icon beside the bin in the photo gallery. I have Airdroid, and the freebie Bluetooth File Transfer app from the <ugh> play store <ugh> . I humbly apologise for using such a despicable and gruesome name which must torture the intelligence of any human.

1 members found this post helpful.

I run Remote Web Desktop on both my phone and tablet. This lets me move things between those and my laptop with relative ease.
    However, I would like a more seamless set of connections among the three devices. (File sync among Linux workstations is straight forward using cron and rsync.)

Remote Web Desktop -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.xdevelop.rmp
    App provides a limited web server and ftp server on 'droid devices.

Hmmm.
    My provider updated me from Android-4.3 to Android-4.4.2 the other day kernel 3.0.31.<blah>
    Maybe you should look for an update yourself.

Got the AT&T update over the weekend. It is v4.4.2 as well.
    Don't forget to check your installed apps for updates. I had several JellyBean apps that
    did not work correctly or at all under KitKat.

~~~ 0;-Dan

Device(s)
    Kyocera Brigadier Dell Venue 8
    Since you mentioned Linux workstations. I have an old laptop running my chosen Linux distro and run owncloud on it. I use a dynamic IP service which has a linux client to always map a simple name to my host and run it on a nonstandard port (so no one sees a typical port 80/443 web server). Owncloud provides a CalDav, CardDav, WevDav sync server (and Firefox sync until Mozilla stopped listening to their users). So on the phone and tablet you can run any Dav sync clients, for example I use foldersynclite. I then pair the dcim on the phone and tablet with the pictures in my owncloud server and everything syncs on a schedule. I do the same with my calendar and contacts which gets around limitations in Goolge's calendar.

Its actually quite easy to set up, my distro had apache, mysql, and php already so it was a simple matter of enabling each and extracting owncloud under the apache wwwroot then running their setup and creating some user accounts.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enine View Post
    Since you mentioned Linux workstations. I have an old laptop running my chosen Linux distro and run owncloud on it.

Owncloud provides a CalDav, CardDav, WevDav sync server (and Firefox sync until Mozilla stopped listening to their users). So on the phone and tablet you can run any Dav sync clients, for example I use foldersynclite. I then pair the dcim on the phone and tablet with the pictures in my owncloud server and everything syncs on a schedule. I do the same with my calendar and contacts which gets around limitations in Goolge's calendar.

Its actually quite easy to set up, my distro had apache, mysql, and php already so it was a simple matter of enabling each and extracting owncloud under the apache wwwroot then running their setup and creating some user accounts.
    This is exactly the sort of thing I want to do for the home-office environment. Thanks for this tip.

I use a dynamic IP service which has a linux client to always map a simple name to my host and run it on a nonstandard port (so no one sees a typical port 80/443 web server).
    Is the dynamic IP service required for OwnCloud or is that something that you are doing to enable broader access back to your mothership?

~~~0;-Dan

Device(s)
    Kyocera Brigadier Dell Venue 8
    The DNS service isn't required, you simply point your mobile devices to the IP of your server. I choose to do the dynamic dns service to my external IP so my devices don't give errors that they can't sync with 192.168.1.100 (or whatever internal IP) when I'm outside of my network. So instead I'm pointing to <mydomin>.no-ip.biz (no-ip.biz is the free service I'm using). Then I open the ports to connect to my owncloud on my router and if my phone is in my pocket while I'm at work and it syncs it can resolve the outside ip of my server and connect and sync.