Blog Entries

Device(s)
    samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 / android 4.0.4(not rooted)

[HOWTO] properly downgrade applications for android / get older version apk

Some of us, android users, at some point wanted to downgrade application that had a bugs or unwanted changes on next update, however, google market does not provide us with a version selector feature.

Let's take a case with a popular VOIP application, skype.
    Since it's overtake by kids from M$, it goes worse and worse with each release.
    Or, you can take twitter official app for example, which has practically same issues as skype.
    But back on topic, just because it's popular it may be a perfect example, since unknown apps might not be mirrored anywhere and there might be absolutely no way of getting older versions.

Looking closer, I wanted to downgrade to a version I initially installed back in october 2012. Googling for skype apk I got this: http://www.androiddrawer.com/2654/do...0-920-app-apk/
    There was a list of versions with corresponding release dates. The closest is 2.9.0.315. I think I used exactly that one. Changelog for 3.0.0.6181 states "brand new design for tablets" which I have now, and want to get rid of since I personally find older one faster and clearer.

ok, download it to your PC, get the hashes (both md5 and sha1). Download from a 3-4 sources(different sites) just to be sure, compare them all. If they all match, again, google for your found hashes, md5 and/or sha1. If you see many results, chances are this might be official one. If you're really paranoid you shouldn't really rely on this. IN FACT: YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS. You might want to go further and ask vendor for details.

If you think it worths a shot, try it, but make sure you also have your current version number and apk for both old and current version downloaded and verified at least the way I described above.
    In my case, I downgraded from 3.0.0.6181 to 2.9.0.315 successfully on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (android 4.0.4, non-rooted).

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by uchiko; 07-04-2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: title fixup for better search

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 / android 4.0.4(not rooted)

Original Poster
    Continuing this howto, I still wanted to use an older version of Skype when microshit forcefully upgraded protocol, disallowing older versions login at all. Now some of you came here searching for "check your mobile network settings" skype error on login when using older versions and raging about newer versions being glitchy and shitty.

So, here's a hack that will bring your skype back to life. Assuming you already have your 2.8-3.2 version apk(at your personal preference), you shall get 4.6 apk, or a newer version from google store directly.
    Step by step simple guide to get your older skype working:
    1. Install 4.6/newer version and log in through it over raw wifi/3g connectivity(you can't if you use openvpn).
    2. Log out (top right).
    3. Install 2.8-3.2 from apk you have.
    4. Start skype(now it's older version you prefer).
    5. You are automatically logged in.
    But remember, once it segfaults you have to do this again, reinstall new version, and downgrade again. The hack here seems to be related to the stored session, whatever. Currently segfaults occur way more often than they had in the past. I established no dependency on any particular condition.

HTH

The issues came up with the upgrade are these(in new version):
    1. no timestamps
    2. no message sending on "enter" hit, have to hit a tiny small boxie on the screen
    3. contact list can be scrolled forever until you find your desired contact, alphabetically sorted, where each letter takes all your screen, and you scroll it till you die;
    4. openvpn application is banned(yes, banned, so far NO application EVER on ANY OS failed to run under openvpn)
    5. randomly goes offline whenever feels like it

I contacted microshit support several times on these questions, but ofc, you should have known better. The skype is now mostly scrapped. I am not aware of any other alternative to it yet, but suppose I'll be looking for it sometime soon. If method I described above will stop working, I'll probably try to learn the protocol handshakes to hack it spoofing the version and if that would be a successful case, I'll post whatever sources I came up with here again.

tags for search: skype downgrade android, skype older version android, skype 3 on android, skype protocol issues android, skype check mobile settings error android, skype check mobile network settings error android

Last edited by uchiko; 09-21-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: tags

Thanks a lot for sharing such a useful post. I really found this post helpful. Actually this is the best thing about this forum. All of the members are really helpful.