Device(s)
    LG Thrive

icon of battery with yellow triangle meaning

Last night when I turned on my phone, I got an icon of the battery overlain with a yellow triangle. I could not boot up the phone, and the phone would not charge. I removed and replaced the battery, and then was able to start the charger. This morning the phone appears to be OK?
    Is this icon of a battery with a yellow triangle an Android Operating System warning/notification of a seriously low battery, or does it indicate that there is a more serious problem? I can still return the phone.

Is there a listing ofthese various warnings/notifications in the Operating System?

Thanks

You don't say what phone you have, but I can tell you about my Motorola experiences -- not just with my current Droid-X, but with previous Motorola phones.

The battery icon meant that your battery was dangerously low OR that the phone thought the battery was dangerously low. Since you were not able to charge it, the latter becomes more likely.

All my phones for the past eight years have been Motorola, and what I can tell you is that the phones do very strange things when low-level errors occur. My first experience with this was using a i755 Nextel which would return a busy-signal on any outgoing call. I took it to the Nextel dealer who popped the battery out for a minute and then "rebooted" the phone which worked flawlessly for a year or so before it did it again. It never got any worse and the phone was working the day I switched to Verizon. My two Verizon phones have been Motorola and have required, very seldom, the same treatment.

My Droid-X seems to allow me to reboot without removing the battery if I hold the power button long enough. It may present the option screen (select Airplane Mode, Silent, . . ., Power Off) or it may just power down and back up without asking me anything. That is a real boon because the Droid is in an Otterbox and getting to the battery almost requires a hammer and cold chisel.

If it happens again, try shutting it off with the power switch held for a long time (ten seconds?) as you may occasionally have to do with computers that have "smart" power supplies.

If you removed the battery and reinstalled the battery and then began using the phone without having to charge it, the likelihood is you experienced a random read-error in a read-only part of the device and unless it becomes frequent, I wouldn't worry about it.

Regards,
    Chas :-)

Last edited by Cadillac84; 08-16-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Ooops. You DID say what your device was.

Device(s)
    LG Thrive

Original Poster
    apparently removing and replacing the battery solved my problem. It now fully charges and appears to be working OK.
    The ATT store rep says thadt it was just a seriously low battery. I asked him if there was a listing of the warning/notification icons in Android, and he didn't know of one. He thought that they were all intuitive, or that they may be in something included with my phone when I purchased it. However everything included with my phone came from LG, not Google.
    By the way, my phone is a LG Thrive
    thanks