Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Builtin Mail App vs Exchange 2013

    I am trying to get my phone to connect to my employer's Exchange 2013 server, and it won't work. I can get other people's phones to connect fine. Phones I have connected successfully include iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Droid 2, Droid X, Galaxy S4, and more. I have had two phones I couldn't get to connect, and the only difference is that my phones are not big 3 (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) phones with their extra software. In case anyone is curious, I use RepublicWireless and my beta phone wouldn't work, and now my Moto X won't work. It is my conjecture that Verizon & AT&T put different mail software on the phones than the Motorola default, because multiple Motorola phones on those networks connect fine, just not mine (even over wifi, eliminating any carrier relevance beyond device config). I suppose it is also possible that Motorola puts different mail software on than the Android default, because Republic Wireless might have started with a base build instead of a Motorola build.

    When I try to add an account on my phone, Corporate is an option and the icon for it is just a broken square box. The beta phone I had was the same way. It was gingerbread, so I originally assumed it was too old and the gingerbread Droid X only worked because of custom Verizon software (since the icon was different). However, the Moto X is JellyBean, so Exchange 2013 is no longer new (and from a connectivity standpoint, probably no different than Exchange 2010, which is even less new). When I try to add my account, it takes me to an account setup page where I can change the username and mail server, and I use the same settings that work on all the other phones (autodiscover is not enabled for my domain, so manual configuration is necessary). However, instead of successfully connecting after this, it fails when "Checking incoming server settings..." and says "Couldn't finish" "Couldn't open connection to server." This is the case on WIFI at my employer, on WIFI at home, and on 3G. I control my router at home, and it isn't blocking anything, and my employer obviously isn't blocking anything or the other phones I have set up wouldn't work. This result is also the same regardless of username format, mail server name or IP, and with "Accept all SSL certificates" checked (even though the certificate is a valid wildcard certificate that works fine on the other phones without that checked).

    Unfortunately, K9 mail doesn't support connecting to Exchange 2010 and newer because it use HTTPS now instead of the old communication protocol. I don't really want to buy an app for this and would prefer to use the built in mail app vs some other free option. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can deal with this?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Device(s)
    HTC Sensation
    That sounds somewhat frustrating - can you contact the IT department at your work and get some assistance? They may be able to get something useful from the exchange server logs...

    Failing that, adb should be able to read the logs from your phone which might shed some more light on the issue.

    Cheers,
    Steve



  3. #3
    IIRC, I don't even see a connection in my firewall's logs when on my home WIFI, so I don 't think Exchange would have any logs, but I can double-check on that. I think the phone would be the best place to start, though, so how would I check logs on my phone?

    Thanks,
    Dustin



  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    Device(s)
    HTC Sensation
    I am not an expert on this but you'd need to install the Android development tools from http://developer.android.com/tools/i...ndroid website and then connect your phone via usb cable with USB debugging enabled. You can then use the http://developer.android.com/tools/h...at.html logcat command to view the phone logs.

    Does that give you enough to get started? There's a lot of info available on doing that by googling, probably much better than I have time to write too!

    Cheers,
    Steve



  5. #5
    Thanks. I'll look into it. It will probably be some time before I can dig in, though, so I'm definitely still interested in any responses regarding anyone who has already dealt with a similar situation.



  6. #6
    Unsurprisingly, this turned out NOT to be an Android issue. I didn't ever get to the troubleshooting steps above, but when the Moto X upgraded to Kit Kat and still wouldn't work, I tried the Nine Exchange ActiveSync app and it wouldn't work either. This ultimately lead to the determination that my Active Directory account was a member of a "special group" and that Active Directory automatically overwrites all permissions for accounts in "special groups" every 30 minutes and disable inheritance. Here is a TechNet article with more detail on that for anyone interested.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •