Device(s)
    LG G5 ASUS Fonepad 8

USB tethering question

Hi there,

I am running Ubuntu Saucy and connected to the internet via cell phone USB tethering, I got a strange question.

My service plan is low speed EDGE hardly get near 100KB/S, I am sure about that when I do wifi hotspot sharing, but when I connect Ubuntu via USB with my phone connected to wifi I can get speed over 200-300KB/S, but suddenly it will drop to less than 50KB/S, I don't know if the cell phone sharing the wifi it connected to, or Ubuntu is intelligent enough to switch between mobile and wifi for some reason ?

oh yes, you are doubling posts from LQ......
    Yes Ubuntu is quite inteligent system, so it could (and would) switch automatically mobile <> wifi

Did you got your question solved?

I'd suggest trying to use the phone as a hot spot wirelessly if possible. that might prevent the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by joboy View Post
    Hi there,

I am running Ubuntu Saucy and connected to the internet via cell phone USB tethering, I got a strange question.

My service plan is low speed EDGE hardly get near 100KB/S, I am sure about that when I do wifi hotspot sharing, but when I connect Ubuntu via USB with my phone connected to wifi I can get speed over 200-300KB/S, but suddenly it will drop to less than 50KB/S, I don't know if the cell phone sharing the wifi it connected to, or Ubuntu is intelligent enough to switch between mobile and wifi for some reason ?
    Did you tried turning the mobile device as and Hotspot ?? If not then I would say you should try that one out and check if you are experiencing any ??

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

I would just try using the phone as a wireless hot spot in order to prevent any unnecessary interactions. I agree with the previous posting.

Try another phone that can be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by marcewgrzyb View Post
    Try another phone that can be a problem
    Nope I don't think a phone problem is going to accelerate or decelerate the internet speed !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies