See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Question about charging phone all night

Hello to everyone. I have mobile phone Alcatel idol ultra one touch 6033x please could you tell me I left mobile phone on charging during whole night. Will it damage or no battery?

Well, I don't think that it will harm that much if you left the device charging over night accidentally because when the device battery reaches to 100% level it cuts the power connectivity. So, here I would say its safe but if you make this one habit I am sure it will worn out eventually.

Most of the times, I charge my phone for the whole night. It is not good for the battery but it doesn’t mean that your battery will get dead. But try to unplugged your charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopesnb View Post
    Most of the times, I charge my phone for the whole night. It is not good for the battery but it doesn’t mean that your battery will get dead. But try to unplugged your charger.
    Yup you are correct actually it doesn't effect that much bit it do slowly kills down the battery life so its always recommended to remove the device from charger once the charging completes !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Device(s)
    Kyocera Brigadier Dell Venue 8
    Reading that wikihow I can tell its copied and pasted from battery university (which is another often referenced source) because they limp nicad and nimh into the 'nickle based' category they call it. Notice they say that nickle based need to be fully discharged then in part 4 say the memory effect doesn't exist anymore so you don't need to discharge fully? NiCad and NiMH are different enough that you can't lump them together like they do, NiCad you really should fully discharge every so often, NiMH not so much.

Though neither matters since our phones use Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer. These types if you attempt to overcharge will eventually explode so the chargers have to shut off. So leaving your phone plugged in overnight doesn't hurt the battery or lower its life because the charger will shut off when full.

Occasionally you want to fully discharge to calibrate the battery meter. You see phones can't tell how much life is left in a battery so they estimate it based on the battery voltage. All batteries the voltage will drop a little as they are used and battery voltage can be measured. So they take the history of the voltage to time and use that as a reference.

The only way the phone could lesson the battery lifepsan is by heat, charging makes heat but also doing cpu intensive things such as games. generally at night just sitting there your phones cpu isn't doing much so its not making any heat and since the charger has shut off its not making any heat.

All batteries have a limited lifespan anyway. Published specs for nicad might be 500-1000 cycles, NiMH typically 1000-1500. lithium ion typically 300 cycles for consumer grade. Those are full cycles so if you discharge your battery to 50% and recharge twice thats one full cycle. This is why your phone battery just doesn't last as long between charges after a couple years.

1 members found this post helpful.

@enine I must say you have explained it a more interesting and easier way than the wiki how post has !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

One thing that seems to help for me when battery life seems to start suffering is draining the battery to almost 0 then entering recovery mode. From there wipe the cache and then reboot. Continue to use the phone until dead. Then charge the battery fully. It is my understanding that this removes any learned charging patterns and helps with battery life. If anyone knows this to be false I would like to know details as to why.

Device(s)
    Kyocera Brigadier Dell Venue 8
    Basically you are doing what I said and calibrating the battery meter. A battery can't tell how much life it has, you can only read its voltage which will drop slightly as its used. Say you start at 100% and its 3.7V. You run it constant for a few hours and its 3.65V then a few more hours its 3.6V, a few more its 3.55V then it shuts down due to low battery. You take the time from start to finish and plot where it was 3.65 and 3.6V along it then the next time you use your phone when it gets to 3.65V it knows how many hours you have left based on the previous time. Lets say you ran 8 hours the first time and it hit 3.65V at hour 4 and 3.6V at hour 6. The next time you use the phone when it gets down to 3.65V it will estimate 50% battery (4 of 8 hours) left.

With both my Samsung devices just running the battery dead want enough. I had to clear the cache. Now with my HTC phones running the battery dead was enough. Maybe it's a manufacturer thing.

Hmm, in my case I always seem to forgot my phone charging overnight, hmm, but I think my battery still works fine.. :P maybe it depends on the brand..

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    I agree on the comments for LiON because that is true, you cannot leave the battery on charge, it will overheat. As a result the charging circuits should cut off. I've had my phone for 4 or more years and still have the original battery. I do not feel that my battery life is bad, but would expect this to be the case given the age of the battery. I also pretty much never shut the phone off.

Device(s)
    Andriod phone and samsung s5
    I have got android phone I am using for more then year. Most of the time I leave my phone on charging before going to bed and take off in the morning when it is charged. I don't think it will effect your phone in anyways.