Sending Function Keys With ConnectBot

I have a Motorola Flipside with a hardware keyboard, and ConnectBot installed. According to everything I've read, you have to use the trackball button to send control keys, tab, etc. The Flipside doesn't have a trackball, but I've discovered that the "OK" button on the keyboard works like the trackball button. Double-tap "OK" sends an escape, "OK" + "C" sends Ctrl+C, but "OK"+"1" doesn't send "F1". Does anyone know how to send a function key to the remote host?

If there's a soft keyboard I can install that has function keys on it, that would work too.

Thanks!

For "F1" is shortcut "ESC" and "1", so in your case you should try double tapping "OK" and then pressing "1".

Last edited by eSelix; 09-07-2011 at 04:31 PM.

According to http://code.google.com/p/connectbot/...thSoftKeyboard, the function keys are Control plus the number, not escape. However, I tried anyway, and all I got was an escape followed by the number.

I should point out that, on my keyboard, the numbers share keys with the top row of letters, so I have to press "Fn" + "Q" to get a 1. Could that be the reason I'm having this problem? If so, is there a workaround?

Maybe. Did you tried OK+Fn+Q ? As workaround I can only suggest you to installing other keyboard, like "Hacker's Keyboard" (it has function keys) or "Keyboard with Ctrl key".

I've tried every combination I could think of. "OK+Fn+Q", "Fn+OK+Q", "Fn+Fn+OK+Q" (pressing Fn twice locks it on), and "OK+Fn+Fn+Q".

I wasn't able to install the Hacker's Keyboard in the Android Market (maybe it's not available for my specific model). I was able to install the "Keyboard with Ctrl key", but the control key on that keyboard didn't act like the OK button on the hardware keyboard: pressing "Ctrl+1" gave me a "Ctrl+1" instead of "F1".

However, while playing with the software keyboard, I happened to stumble on to something interesting. If you press the OK button, then the number key on the soft keyboard, it works! I guess that means it was the Fn key messing things up.

Of course, you can't pull up the soft keyboard while the hardware keyboard is open, so pressing a function key involves a four step process:

1. Press OK.
    2. Close the hardware keyboard.
    3. Bring up the software keyboard.
    4. Press a number.

But at least it works. Thanks for the help.