See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

How many hours per day do you spend using mobile apps?

Hi everyone. This is my first 'proper' post here. The reason for this post, however, is because I'm currently doing some research for a new platform I'm helping out with and was hoping you might be able to answer a quick question for me:

What do you see as the biggest problem facing the app world today?

Is it something to do with the app stores? Distribution, discovering new apps, or something else?

I'd love to open a discussion about this and explore where you see things going in the near future

All the best!
    Rob

Too many unwanted and useless apps.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes I totally agree with Hopesnb, now a days there are too many useless and unwanted apps present in app stores. Anyone who know a bit about developing mobile app, start doing it without even thinking that what benefits will it provide to the people. I don't use mobile apps but only facebook mobile app.

Quote Originally Posted by Apptous View Post
    Hi everyone. This is my first 'proper' post here. The reason for this post, however, is because I'm currently doing some research for a new platform I'm helping out with and was hoping you might be able to answer a quick question for me:

Is it something to do with the app stores? Distribution, discovering new apps, or something else?

I'd love to open a discussion about this and explore where you see things going in the near future

All the best!
    Rob

Well, I guess I spent around 3-4 hours daily over the gaming apps and the time increases up to 9-10 hours over weekend and holidays !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    I'm sure it has a ton to do with the demographic of the person and whether or not they are using their devices for work, play, or other reasons. I got a tablet to develop apps for it as part of my job. We started looking at the utility of the thing for job related work. Basically email, online schedule, and for 3/4G enabled devices things like internet use on the road. Also GPS for travel. Well, I'm not a road warrior and this device is not on any data plans, in fact cannot be it is only WIFI capable. I've found that on locations, be they a client location, a doctor's office, a cafe, or home and work, there are usually networks. Do I need them? Not really unless I do need/want to view email. Otherwise it has books, and music. I've played some games, nothing big. Many years ago I got games out of my psyche and the worst I might do now are brain excercise types of games.

I'd see a guy at the grocery store many times with an iPad and he clearly had his shopping list on it. I asked him how well it worked. He admitted that he put a moderate amount of time and effort into maintaining it and it wasn't as if he actively used it while shopping, he referenced it and what it really was, was a master list of stuff he had bought, organized in the flow of how he shopped; dry goods, deli/meats, then dairy and frozen last. The list had everything he'd ever normally buy, but not emphasizing whether or not he needed it that time, the control over that was his memory of the state of his cupboard or fridge. Like he had eggs, milk, bread on the list but relied on his personal knowledge to know whether or not he really did need eggs that particular week. He admitted one thing and then brought up a problem. The admission was that if his master list could be tapped to make a "this week" list, and then he could tap that list to remove items because he'd put them in the carriage, it would be immensely helpful. He admitted that even that might be too much effort, not the creating of a weekly list, but the management of it within the grocery store. Problem #1 and benefit #1 was the size. An iPad is large, so it's cumbersome when you're steering a carriage and shopping, but the size meant that he had a lot of items on the screen. He cringed thinking that he might have to do that with an iPhone screen size, he'd be sliding up/down forever. Next he brought up one-time things, new things, and specialty things like his wife and daughter's feminine hygeine products. #1 is like most men he still never got it right, they had to write very detailed descriptions and he'd still not pick out the exact ones they wanted, or if someone got a temporary preference for a certain new food that lasted a month or so, it would also present a problem. For instance, it's fine to say "tampons", or "cereal bars" but it's a lot worse to say "kelloggs first of the day, right fruit bars, munchy crunchy chocolate and fiber with raisins" I made that last one up, but that was his point, he had grabbed some cereal bars off the shelf that were highly particular which his wife wanted him to get and he knew she'd change that in a month or so. So management of that in the list was thus reduced to "cereal bars", and even that was a trade off because he bought 2-3 different types, some for his wife, some for his daughter, and some for his sone. At that point he looked at me squarely and said, "You just talked to me to make me feel bad about using this, didn't ya!" We laughed and left it at that.

I think a TON of people use them for social networking, and you obviously see them doing so everywhere.

The apps that businesses create which are truly mobile apps that are quick and helpful for the users of them, are useful. For instance, my bank's mobile app is horrific, might as well just use the normal website. Meanwhile where I work, once set up, I enter the app and it asks for a PIN, then I'm in to my employee account. Meanwhile the available services aren't so good, but one or two of them are and those I do use. Sort of a toss up.

I used phones at night, and dont remember how much hours but, i sleep at 2 or 3 at night

I only use my phones to check mails & to receive call when I'm at my work. apart from that I always spend my time in either playing games or chating to my friends.