seeking Android equivalent for "live media" boot

Is there any way to boot an Android phone or tablet into rooted, "live media" firmware like one does with Linux?

I don't want to root my devices permanently, but there are times when I want to "root tinker" (Is that "hacking" or "cracking"?) One immediate issue is the permission changes deployed with the KitKat (v4.4.2) update.

An alternate solution would be an Android edition of sudo that would (1) permit privileged operations, and (2) create a log of what actions were taken using those privileges.

~~~ 0;-Dan

Is there any way to boot an Android phone or tablet into rooted, "live media" firmware like one does with Linux?
    no thats not how android boots. In simple terms a part of Android boots then a virtual machine starts. Its the virtual machine that is also a restriction on Linux or anything else trying to access it.

I don't want to root my devices permanently
    then don't.....root it and do something then unroot.

Getting root permission by sudo would be the same dilemma as getting root access so sudo is not the solution either.

2) There may be alternatives using your Linux PC and either going into fastboot mode or "download" mode.....but support for these are not universal and so it would be up to you to research your device.

for example you can use fastboot to flash a custom recovery onto your device

you can use fastboot to flash a completely different variant.....rooted or unrooted
    ---that means you need to grab the Official ROM......that is your unrooted variant

your rooted variant you need to build flashtool images so you flash then back at another time

does that give you clues?

If so now research fastboot