[Q] LearnDevelopment

Hi,

I want to start develop on Linux systems and people told me to start with phones.

I read about Fastboot/CM/CWM and stuff like that but I have tons of questions:

A) Why do we need CWM and stuff and not to develop directly from the Google Linux to each device that is on the market ?
    B) I took a phone and found the problem in it (voltages), it makes the device to re-boot randomly but I didn't know which file should I approach.
    C) When I tried to open the zlmage it opened to my in binary codes ?

Long story short, I have tons of information on the mind and it mixed - where do I start ???
    And how do I fix that specific problem on that device - for example ?
    Then I will want to fit a system into it.

Please guys, give me a path.

Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    Sorry, your original post appears to be a long time ago. Hopefully you've either made some progress or not given up on this direction.

Starting on phones is a horrible way to begin learning Linux development. Android is an entirely different OS, although it is Linux based. Further, all the phones have different hardware. Not that desktop of laptop computer systems don't have different hardware, but there are drivers written which are open source which usually work on most of the mainstream computer systems.

What I'd do instead is use a desktop computer if possible, if you have to use a laptop, then do so. Just be aware of things like very old, and very non-mainstream, as well as cutting edge new. Which is to say if you buy something brand new and it has new stuff that's not necessarily been used in many systems before, likely installing Linux on it may have some problems. But if you have or buy a general desktop which has nothing special about it, it merely has a display, keyboard, mouse, and a normal Intel or AMD processor, plus it's within 5 years of being new, then that's IMHO a great candidate. You can "try" Linux by putting an install ISO image onto a CD, DVD, or USB thumb stick and usually you can just boot off of that media and try the Linux as it would appear on your computer. And if you chose to install, then you could do that. I do recommend that once you find a distribution you like, that you do install it so you can then perform development. Considering that you are interested in development, then I'd also recommend one of the fully equipped desktop versions like Ubuntu, MINT, SUSE, Arch, CentOS, or Debian. There are others, but I'm not too comfortable recommending some highly minimal distribution. I'd in fact recommend Ubuntu, MINT, or Debian as my top three choices, ranked in that order.

Again, the system it goes on is somewhat important. If you have some 20+ year old system ... considering finding something newer, there will be too many trade-offs in just getting Linux working and with you being a beginner, why tolerate that?

Once you have Linux running, a package to install is called "build-essentials" which installs the libraries and tools for compiling and debugging.

Then it depends what you want to do: Linux kernel, Linux general programming, Linux GUI programming, Linux embedded programming, Linux script types, Linux system administration, and so forth.

I'm most experienced with general programming, embedded Linux, GUI programming, and scriptin, eventually leading to some kernel and device drivers. I think you need to pick what you wish to head for.

I will say that general C or C++ programming of Linux programs to run from a normal terminal prompt are hands down the easiest way to start. It really depends if you know any programming or none for starters. Further, scripts are also a great way to start from that same level, the terminal prompt.

Most distributions, especially the ones I've recommended already have the compiler and debugger there so you can write a program, compile it, and run it, and also debug it, pretty much out of the box. Again the question becomes what, if any experience level you already have versus how far reaching you wish to go.

UI programming does require installing toolkits to build those technologies, some are already there. Same thing, you need to start small and then grow from there.

Good luck. If Linux is actually your target, then I'd recommend you visit and post some questions on the LinuxQuestions.org forum.

Last edited by rtmistler; 04-08-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Notice the OP was a long time ago

Its simple start your android development at https://intellipaat.com/android-training/