Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4, ASUS eee Pad Transformer

Angry Galaxy S4 Battery Draining Problem

My 1 year old Galaxy S4 (O2 supplied running Kit-Kat) has suddenly started to drain the battery very rapidly (a few hours) after being fully charged.

Other problems which I assume are related:
    - phone does not go into sleep mode and screen stays lit
    - phone won't shut down and stays on the O2 splash screen with the blue status light on. I have to remove and replace the battery in order to restart the phone.

On several occasions an app has been running automatically at startup and battery status reports it show as using most of the battery (over 40%).

The first was a 3rd party music player which I hardly ever used so uninstalled it. Then the standard Android Music app did the same thing but I naturally couldn't uninstall it as phone is not rooted.

The current app is YouTube which is used fairly regularly and I am unable to uninstall it also (didn't think it was in the standard build). However, I notice it has the following permissions:
    - run at startup
    - prevent phone sleeping

I therefore think I need to reset the phone and have backed up the apps and app data with MyBackup Pro in readiness.

Anyone have better suggestions or an explanation on what may have happened?

Thanks
    Neil

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Still problems after factory reset so it feels like a hardware problem and have returned phone to O2 repair centre. Hopefully I'll get a new phone.

Neil

Firstly of all try performing a factory reset of your device and what more you can do is also ran a quick check over the battery, what you can do is put it over the flat surface and then try spinning it, if the battery spins freely then its swollen and the problem is with the battery itself and if its okay then better to leave things over the factory resetting.

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Device(s)

Original Poster
    As mentioned, I did perform a factory reset but it made no difference. I also checked the battery and it looked ok (not deformed) although I admit it had previously been getting very warm. However the battery monitor showed the probable cause as some apps which I have since uninstalled.

I returned the phone to the O2 repair centre a week ago and, despite saying they couldn't find any fault, have apparently repaired it and are now returning it. I will have to wait and see if it is now working ok. If not I shall demand a replacement.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by NeilForde View Post
    As mentioned, I did perform a factory reset but it made no difference. I also checked the battery and it looked ok (not deformed) although I admit it had previously been getting very warm. However the battery monitor showed the probable cause as some apps which I have since uninstalled.

I returned the phone to the O2 repair centre a week ago and, despite saying they couldn't find any fault, have apparently repaired it and are now returning it. I will have to wait and see if it is now working ok. If not I shall demand a replacement.
    Well, that's great it looks like that things have almost sort up ! Let us know when you received your device back and if everything goes fine !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Got it back today. All they apparently did was upgrade the software - assume they mean Android but that was already up to date. A whole week just to do that - totally unacceptable and I've told them so. Reinstalled my apps but worse thing is phone is still crashing - same symptoms as before but I also noticed the battery was getting very warm. Won't be sending it back to O2 again but might take it into the local O2 shop to be checked out. A replacement seems even more necessary.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by NeilForde View Post
    Got it back today. All they apparently did was upgrade the software - assume they mean Android but that was already up to date. A whole week just to do that - totally unacceptable and I've told them so. Reinstalled my apps but worse thing is phone is still crashing - same symptoms as before but I also noticed the battery was getting very warm. Won't be sending it back to O2 again but might take it into the local O2 shop to be checked out. A replacement seems even more necessary.
    Well, now I would say better to get the replacement ! I don't think that battery should be getting hot battery getting hot means more battery consumption would be there ! Have you check the mobile network are you getting good signals bar over your device or its ...??? Sometimes it also occurs because of the ....

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

yeah, i would prefer also to get i new one than make things harder and try to use it in care...

Quote Originally Posted by RoceanOne View Post
    yeah, i would prefer also to get i new one than make things harder and try to use it in care...
    Actually I was talking about replacing the whole device !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies