Question Some videos and pictures not working

I have a 7" Samsung Galaxy tab4 with 4.4.2 Kitkat on it. For some reason only a few .jpg pictures will display. The same thing is true for png type pictures. Only a few MP4 videos work with no flv or avi or 3gp videos working at all. Many other MP4 types of videos won't work regardless of which app I use to try to play them with. The same issue is there with pictures.

I can understand if stuff is not supported, nothing works. Why do only a few videos work and nothing else?

What types of pictures and video formats are reliably supported?

Well, I would say almost all of the video formats is supported by Android device anyway ! Why don't you try installing VLC media player available over your device, and see if that helps you in playing video files.

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

I did this already. If the tablet can't do it neither will VLC. Its mind boggling. If I Bluetooth over the identical picture or file from my blackberry Z10, no problem. The troublesome files were transferred via USB. The files in question are known as good because Linux mint can handle them.

Is it permissions?

Quote Originally Posted by mdlinuxwolf View Post
    I did this already. If the tablet can't do it neither will VLC. Its mind boggling. If I Bluetooth over the identical picture or file from my blackberry Z10, no problem. The troublesome files were transferred via USB. The files in question are known as good because Linux mint can handle them.

Is it permissions?
    I am afraid but I can't comment on this one as I really don't have the idea whats going on their !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by mdlinuxwolf View Post
    I can understand if stuff is not supported, nothing works. Why do only a few videos work and nothing else?

What types of pictures and video formats are reliably supported?
    Pretty much all image and video formats are supported. I use VLC for videos and QuickPic for images, and things work fine.

Where are the images and video files stored? Are they on an external card? If so, that might be your issue.

One problem Kit-kat introduced was intended as a security measure. In earlier versions of Android, apps could access any folder on a card. In Kit-kat, apps can only access the specific directory on the card they are configured to use. The images and videos you can't see may actually be in locations of the device where the viewer app can't access them.
    ______
    Dennis

Could it be a memory issue, how big are the images and videos?