Can't get Firefox on my new ace3.

Hi all,

I just got a new phone (samsung galaxy ace3), and trying to install firefox web browser. So I go to www.appsapk.com (as usual), find the app and try to initiate download, which usually means going to cubbyusercontent website. This phone will not go to that website, says it is a security risk.

So, I try to get firefox from mozilla.org website, but they will only redirect to google play store. I don't want a google account. I don't want to get apps from google. I don't want google in my life.

Questions: Is this security threat real? Or is google / samsung using security to force users to google play store?

Where else can I get a free download of Firefox, where "free" includes freedom from being googletracked as welll as the usual free as in beer and free as in speech?

Will the version I was using on my old phone, samsung duos android 4.0 run on this android 2.2 platform?

Thanks in advance.....

Andrew.

Well, I would say why are you heading over to some third party sites offering apk file of firefox when you can get it over the Google PlayStore, look for the PlayStore application available over your device tap over it and use the search button to look out for firefox, or simply what you can do is tap over the Google PlayStore link which I'll attached "https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.firefox&hl=en". See if this helps you with the problem you are encountering !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Original Poster
    Why go to third party sites, Peter? Read the original post, especially the bit that says I don't want google in my life. Interesting to ask a question that makes it clear I don't want google play store only to be directed to it.

Anyway, I went back to appsapk, the link suceeded and I am posting this with firefox.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aal View Post
    Why go to third party sites, Peter? Read the original post, especially the bit that says I don't want google in my life. Interesting to ask a question that makes it clear I don't want google play store only to be directed to it.

Anyway, I went back to appsapk, the link suceeded and I am posting this with firefox.

Thanks.
    well, that's great if you have succeeded but here I would like to say here that you stated the you don't want google to be part of your life but using Android itself means you have made Google part of life and there are some services which you wouldn't be able to use without google. I am sure you have put gmail account over your device which clearly means that.... anyway my point over here is yo can't run from google now you just need to think about it again and as far as the app downloaded from third party sites are concerned they expose you to some malicious codes which may steal your sensitive data ! So, better option would be thinking again over using google services would be a plus ! Have a nice day ...

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Original Poster
    Hi Peter,

Android is of course google, but the main alternatives are worse: apple, microsoft or lose too much functionality with eg linux for phones.

Google is pretty good as an open provider, and has been good for competition, but I simply don't want software tracking and influencing for financial or any other reasons.

And no I actually don't have either a google account or a samsung account on my phone. There's always an alternative working as well with no strings. By the way, have you read the contract that you have with google?

Andrew

Hi Peter,

Android is of course google, but the main alternatives are worse: apple, microsoft or lose too much functionality with eg linux for phones.

Google is pretty good as an open provider, and has been good for competition, but I simply don't want software tracking and influencing for financial or any other reasons.

And no I actually don't have either a google account or a samsung account on my phone. There's always an alternative working as well with no strings. By the way, have you read the contract that you have with google?

Andrew
    Nope I haven't read the contract which I have with Google, anyway I would say I don't want to as far as they don't use it against my ... I don't have any problem with it !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Original Poster

power corrupts

Hi,

I have (read the contracts), and both Google and Samsung do get a lot of power to deal with any of your data that they collect pretty much as they see fit. So there is a lot of trust involved on the user side. Will that power always be used as responsibly in future, as you perceive it has been in the past?

But we are so far off topic, and this thread was about a temporary glitch that's now solved. Thanks for your comments.

andrew.

Hi,

I have (read the contracts), and both Google and Samsung do get a lot of power to deal with any of your data that they collect pretty much as they see fit. So there is a lot of trust involved on the user side. Will that power always be used as responsibly in future, as you perceive it has been in the past?

But we are so far off topic, and this thread was about a temporary glitch that's now solved. Thanks for your comments.

andrew.
    Well, agreed we are going a little off topic over here but I would say that's the real beauty of this forum, at start we have one question and because of it another question is generated ! Anyway I'll put an end over this one but I do want further conversation on this one, it would be much better if one of the admin or mods of this forum can cut the conversation from here over to some place other ... maybe a new thread !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies