See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Linux-Friendly Tablet

I am considering buying a 7" or 8" Android Tablet.

My wife and I both have recent Samsung Phones and Her Ladyship also has a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab. We are very happy with the devices BUT I have a connectivity problem.

Samsung devices need Kies to connect to a PC. Kies does not work from VirtualBox. I do not have any dedicated Windows machines apart from my wife's XP which will switch to Linux rather that upgrade Windows in due course

Does anybody know of a good quality tablet which interfaces easily to Linux? FWIIW I use Debian Unstable. I can use gmtp for some transfers, haven't yet got mtpfs to work for me but really would prefer a tablet whose maker is completely independent of Microsoft and their MTP protocols.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well, I would say why don't you try getting the PC manager for linux like I think for ubuntu platform samsung kies is available... and as far as the preference of tablet is concerned I can suggest you because I haven't done anything like that ... maybe you should wait a little more while for other users to respond on this one !

1 members found this post helpful.
    Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Kies comes in all Samsung Devices built in, mostly used Samsung devices, may be some good quality tablets comes that interface easily to Linux. Google it or go on tablets stores where all specs detail of tablets available.

Last edited by mariaandreson; 12-30-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    Mobile App Development Company www.appliconic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mariaandreson View Post
    Kies comes in all Samsung Devices built in, mostly used Samsung devices, may be some other smartphones comes with your required features. I have to search out first.
    @mariaandreson did you even bother reading what @OP is trying to ask over here or you are just posting anything out of ....

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

@Peter_Carlos What's wrong? Are you trying to become that you are loyal with @davcefai . ?

Quote Originally Posted by mariaandreson View Post
    @Peter_Carlos What's wrong? Are you trying to become that you are loyal with @davcefai . ?
    No, mariaanderson I am not trying to be loyal rather than I am trying to be loyal with the forum, what you seemed to be doing is purely not going to help @OP as well as this forum, you seemed to to be mentioning something which is totally scrap ! Tell me do you think you answers is going to help @OP ??? Look this forums isn't meant for things like what you are trying to do over here and which is the reason why I am telling you again and again to first read what @OP is trying to ask rather than posting you own scrap.

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

@Perter_Carlos If you can't help out others than don't interface in others discussions. It looks like that your mentioned link is scrape. You are just pulling others legs.

@ Peter Caros

Thanks for the suggestions. To my surprise I found bitpim and Heimdall-flash-frontend available in the Debian repositories. I'll need to check them out.

Thanks again

@mariaanderson

No thank you for the null inputs. Yes Kies is built into most Samsung Devices. That is my problem! I did not need you to tell us that and generate a lot of useless noise in the thread. Incidentally your rudeness doesn't do anybody any good.

Quote Originally Posted by davcefai View Post
    @ Peter Caros

Thanks for the suggestions. To my surprise I found bitpim and Heimdall-flash-frontend available in the Debian repositories. I'll need to check them out.

Thanks again
    Well, that's great @davcefai it looks like you have got yourself a fix.... let me know how things goes !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Depression!

bitpim is for CDMA phones. On this side of the pond we're all GSM. Bitpim "notices" that there is a phone in that there is no "Can't find a phone" message. However I cannot go any further with the program.

Thanks anyway for the support. Happy New Year.

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    @mariaandreson Note that personal attacks are not acceptable here at AQ. It appears you may be posting simply to promote your .sig. Please contact us if you'd like your posting privileges reinstated.

--jeremy

Winding up this thread: Something nice seems to have happened to Virtualbox at the last update. Kies today worked! So did Nokia PC Suite!

Actually it could be one of two things. Either a VB problem was fixed or my trying to run bitpim affected something in the USB subsystem.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by davcefai View Post
    Winding up this thread: Something nice seems to have happened to Virtualbox at the last update. Kies today worked! So did Nokia PC Suite!

Actually it could be one of two things. Either a VB problem was fixed or my trying to run bitpim affected something in the USB subsystem.

Cheers.

Hey @davcefai sorry I have missed your post actually I was little out in celebrating new year, anyway first of all Happy New Year to you too.. It looks like things have started working back fine ...

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

This thread has had >1600 views. It would be nice if anybody has some clue, however slight, as to what could have happened to VirtualBox/Kies.

Cheers to all!

Device(s)
    Kyocera Brigadier Dell Venue 8
    I went a little different route. Instead of finding software that works with MTP and such I set up my own sync server.
    I have a phone and tablet, my wife has a phone, my son and daughter both have our old phones and each a tablet. so we have 6-8 devices at all times. If I want to copy something its a pain to plug in and copy multiple times.
    I had an old system running at home as a media/file/print server anyway so I searched a bit and found a solution where I run a small "cloud" server and then install a sync client on each device and set up folder pairs. This way its a one time setup then if I want to copy a file to each I drop it on the server and it auto sync's to each. No more plugging in USB cables and mounting and unmounting.