G1: Diagnose Network issue?

What are the basic visibles in tracing a network problem? I have wifi association & network address

Here's what I mean
    $
    su
    /Entering root message (I have CM-6.0)
    #cat /proc/net/route #returns 0 in everything
    #cat /system/etc/resolv.conf # shows the resolv.conf.
    #route [anything] # always seems to show a usage message. Anyone figure it out?
    I have a reasonable /system/etc/hosts, no host.conf,
    ifconfig # doesn't exist
    #ip #invariably throws up the help message. Anyone figure it out?
    Wireless tools don't exist.

And I'm kinda out of ideas here. Do the files in /proc/net have much?

/problem
    Last Semester, I had Internet access via wifi in College through some stupid log in script. Any url would redivert to the log in, log in and you're away. I had to put in their dns server somewhere.

Over the summer, I had to restore a back up from nandroid, and they evidently did something also.

NOW, I go for the net first time, and it's there - no login. Close the phone, and try it at lunchtime, and it's not there.

These commands ifconfig, route are simplified verions of "standard". You can install SSHDroid to get native Linux commands working as excepted. Just set PATH to "/data/data/berserker.android.apps.sshdroid/home/bin" or find other, similar application.

Thanks. I found ifconfig and radiooptions, but ifconfig is pretty obtuse. I just need to cop a wifi problem (probably _the_uni's_ problem.