Device(s)
    LG G5 ASUS Fonepad 8

Contacts sharing problem

Hi there,

I've got a long time problem which is not specific to Android but more serious with it, it is the contact sharing. I started with a Nokia phone which supports VCF contact, and I used the same file to share with my new phones, nothing really bother me as long as I stick with Nokia, but once I switched to Android the nightmare started.

The phone recognized the file no problem but the name field changed, this is very trouble for Asian since we use Chinese name, there is no field specific for this so I put the Chinese name in the 'suffix', where the optional first and last English name follows the standard western format. Due to the Chinese characters the phone get 'confused' and unable to do the sorting, no matter how I sort first/last name the phone won't follow, what I want to do is to display as First, Last, Chinese, but the phone always display as LastFirst[space]Chinese, no matter how I change the sort order, I got this problem on all Android phones I used, where HTC seems to be the most trouble one.

I thought I could eliminate the problem by edit directly in Google, but some of the contacts display differently than on the phone, I compared those contacts in edit mode but see nothing wrong, they are in the same order I put only the display format changed. Even worst the VCF has been edited many times and save as different VCF versions, the edit menu on phone does not display the same options on different contacts. To add more spice to the soup the phone auto link contacts from Whatsapps and keep duplicating, I can merge or delete duplicated contacts, but this will only mess up even more, this is very annoying problem seems no way to fix, any comment ?

Well, that's was way too sad ! Did you tried re-writng all the contacts manually? as I don't think anything can help you with this one also are you using an Android smartphones purchased from china or you are using device purchased from somewhere else ??

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Device(s)
    LG G5 ASUS Fonepad 8

Original Poster

Contacts sharing problem

It is a standard HTC phone not a Chinese model, and I've re-do some contacts but didn't help, it was the system design limitation handling Chinese characters... You could try even you don't know Chinese, by insert any Chinese characters in the contact and try to sort and you will see.

Quote Originally Posted by joboy View Post
    It is a standard HTC phone not a Chinese model, and I've re-do some contacts but didn't help, it was the system design limitation handling Chinese characters... You could try even you don't know Chinese, by insert any Chinese characters in the contact and try to sort and you will see.
    Sorry, about that @joboy didn't tried doing anything like this previously and if I do that now then I will got myself stuck .... as I don't know the language so, I would say the better option would be waiting a little more while for other to help you with this one ....

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies