no recognition of sata drive on x86 platform

Hello, I have just tried to install android x86 system to my hard drive after successfully using the live cd. However the installation procedure only recognizes external drives and not my sata drive. After having no luck getting an answer to this i decided to install it to my flash drive which did appear successful but it doesn't appear in the grub menu or boot from the bios menu although recognized by it. can anyone suggest how i boot to the installed version on my flash drive rather than having to boot the live version every time which doesn't allow for change, installing apps ,etc.. The installed version can be mounted by the ubuntu file manager which is installed on the hard drive and i tried to do a grub update with and without the android flash system mounted but it doesn't get picked up.Also i did partition the hdd with a 10Gb ext4 partition to install android to but as i said it doesn't get recognised by the installer. Can anyone help me get a bootable android system whether off the flash install or how to get a hdd install. I thought if i use grub from inside android it may be visible in the menu but don't know if it is possible or how to do it. Begging for help Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by bri_c View Post
    Hello, I have just tried to install android x86 system to my hard drive after successfully using the live cd. However the installation procedure only recognizes external drives and not my sata drive. After having no luck getting an answer to this i decided to install it to my flash drive which did appear successful but it doesn't appear in the grub menu or boot from the bios menu although recognized by it. can anyone suggest how i boot to the installed version on my flash drive rather than having to boot the live version every time which doesn't allow for change, installing apps ,etc.. The installed version can be mounted by the ubuntu file manager which is installed on the hard drive and i tried to do a grub update with and without the android flash system mounted but it doesn't get picked up.Also i did partition the hdd with a 10Gb ext4 partition to install android to but as i said it doesn't get recognised by the installer. Can anyone help me get a bootable android system whether off the flash install or how to get a hdd install. I thought if i use grub from inside android it may be visible in the menu but don't know if it is possible or how to do it. Begging for help Brian.

Well, I am not sure about this one but I don't think that you can install Android over PC ! But still if you want to keep it running over PC then why don't you try installing VM ware over your PC and you can run Android over their !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Original Poster
    It is possible from what i read from the sourceforge documentation and have now managed to install to a flash drive complete with grub. This allows me to use android just as a normal operating system and install apps from google store. However i would still like it to be installed on my sata drive as the flash does slow boot up and shutdown and probably opening of apps. So now this is my only issue, how do i get it to recognise my sata drive. I know others have done it so lets hope one of them sees this post. Thanks for your contribution.

It is possible from what i read from the sourceforge documentation and have now managed to install to a flash drive complete with grub. This allows me to use android just as a normal operating system and install apps from google store. However i would still like it to be installed on my sata drive as the flash does slow boot up and shutdown and probably opening of apps. So now this is my only issue, how do i get it to recognise my sata drive. I know others have done it so lets hope one of them sees this post. Thanks for your contribution.
    Hmm... not worries at all dude I also want to install Android over my PC I must say because in past what I was doing is I was running it over the VMwares and getting a chance to run it over the PC is something which I must say do sounds cool enough to me !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Original Poster

no recognition of sata drive on x86 platform

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Carlos View Post
    Hmm... not worries at all dude I also want to install Android over my PC I must say because in past what I was doing is I was running it over the VMwares and getting a chance to run it over the PC is something which I must say do sounds cool enough to me !
    Well if you get it to recognise your hdd i would be interested if you had to do anything to the install procedure or whatever was needed . Although it still works good installed on the flash drive i think it would be faster directly installed on the hard drive.

Well if you get it to recognise your hdd i would be interested if you had to do anything to the install procedure or whatever was needed . Although it still works good installed on the flash drive i think it would be faster directly installed on the hard drive.
    Well, I have 500GB HDD running i7 4GB RAM !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Original Poster
    I managed to get android installed on my hard drive by changing the jumpers on it. The android installation picks up all my partitions now. It works really fast on the hard drive despite it being on an old advent T9300 p4 with 2Gb ram.However, things are still not perfect. I cannot get grub to recognise the android partition and the grub that comes with the installation never worked. After installing i rebooted expecting the grub menu but got nothing but a prompt type thing.So i booted a 'supergrub' cd and found that i can get into android using the 'Find any legacy menu.lst' option. That is how i am using android just now as my other distros use grub.cfg. Therefore can anyone inform me how i get my android partition with the grub menu.lst incorporated into my grub.cfg boot file. I have a few linux distros on it and win 7.I booted into my default distro (peppermint) and used 'update grub' but it never picked up the android partition. FYI android installed onto an ext2 file system as ext4 wasn't offered. Any help is greatly appreciated.Brian.

I managed to get android installed on my hard drive by changing the jumpers on it. The android installation picks up all my partitions now. It works really fast on the hard drive despite it being on an old advent T9300 p4 with 2Gb ram.However, things are still not perfect. I cannot get grub to recognise the android partition and the grub that comes with the installation never worked. After installing i rebooted expecting the grub menu but got nothing but a prompt type thing.So i booted a 'supergrub' cd and found that i can get into android using the 'Find any legacy menu.lst' option. That is how i am using android just now as my other distros use grub.cfg. Therefore can anyone inform me how i get my android partition with the grub menu.lst incorporated into my grub.cfg boot file. I have a few linux distros on it and win 7.I booted into my default distro (peppermint) and used 'update grub' but it never picked up the android partition. FYI android installed onto an ext2 file system as ext4 wasn't offered. Any help is greatly appreciated.Brian.
    Well, that looks like there are a lot of technical stuff going on over here maybe it will be better if I try doing these stuff after waiting a bit more while as I have also been hearing that group of people are working over this functionality and I am sure if at this early stage I try something like this I am surely going to cry alot because I am not that much good in tweaking functions out over PC !

Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies