See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Droidx, Xoom and Comcast MIFI Hotspot

Need a good terminal emulator for Android 3.1

I tried android terminal emulator, but the commands would not execute. some commands gave a message saying I did not have permission and other commands like ping just hung up. after a short tim to a blackscscreen.
    A CheatSheet for the icons on this program would be helpful. Also welcome suggestions for a terminal emulator known to work on android 3.1

It is normal that the executing a command in the terminal will just result to permission denied because you run the terminal emulator as a normal user thus everything you run will be under the same normal user. If that terminal emulator application has system or root permissions, then everything you execute may be possible.
    The best way would still be to have a remote terminal connected to your device, unless you modified your android code or terminal application to enable root or system permission for it.

Regards,
    archieval

1 members found this post helpful.

Blog Entries

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Thank you for your response. It has been a long while since I played with unix. I thought I could use simple commands such as Ping and tr?ace route as a normal user.
    Do you happen to know the root password 4 android 3.1 has implemented on the Xoom Wifi only?

Last edited by john test; 05-27-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: completion of final sentence.

No, I do not know. You can probably ask that in the Advanced Android section.

Regards,
    archieval

Blog Entries

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Thamks for responding. :-)

Blog Entries

Device(s)

Original Poster
    LanDroid seems to provide the functionality that I am looking for at the moment
    Ping, Trace, NetStat, etc

The output font size is small and two finger zoom is not supported. :-(

Device(s)
    Droidx running rooted 596 deodexed waiting for stable cyanogen
    I'm pretty sure you have to type "su" no password needed, it drops you into root terminal
    then you can enter commands.
    thats been my experience, i'm just learning how to use it myself