Looking forward to working with you all

Hi, I used to spend a lot of time on Linuxquestions. It brought me up from a naive computer user, quite dependent on whatever was served up out of the box, to a coder, albeit a very limited and clumsy one!

I haven't needed to ask questions there for a while- because firstly I was learning a great deal, second there is a growing body of information out there, and thirdly the distros have come on leaps and bounds since I started with my first Debian in 2007.

I've just rooted my Kindle Fire HD (well I thought it was an achievement! Never mind....) and in my first few days of playing around I can see a few issues:

- the android OS used there seems opaque. This is commercial software designed to stop us from hacking, even with root privilege. There is a real need to pool knowledge to learn code solutions.

-I can't see how to script because the shell is so limited

So I'm hoping that the LQ preference for coding instead of app dependence is replicated here.

I'll be posting the actual issues in the relevant forums, but meantime this is a hello, this is why I'm here and I hope I'll be able
    to contribute as well as learning.

Kind regards to all

Hello sonichedgehog , welcome to Androidquestions I am peter nice to meet you virtually ! You said you are a Linux user dam you must be good at handling the commands over the cmd with black and white screen. I have tried using Terminal over my macbook but its something that I never understand for me I am always scared of seeing that over my macbook as for me it means lots and lots of trouble. If I talk about commands I know them I just know the command "ping", "ipconfig", "mkdir", "dir" and "ip tracert" (I guess) . Hope I'll also get a chance to add some more of the commands over my dictionary !
    Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Hi sonichedgehog, welcome to androidquestions, it is good to know that you are a Linux user and I hope that we can learn a lot from you about Linux, specially on black screen..
    Appliconic.com

well, the android shell is quite limited... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1979909 gives a guide to it. Eg I see there's no cp , but cat is used instead with different syntax. That won't be a problem anyway, because there are probably bash shell apps available on Googleplay, so I expect that the terminal can be used just like Linux.
    I think the issue is that Android, being Unix, has much in common with Mac. Whereas Linux was built by and for hackers, the Android developers need this to be a commercial vehicle. At this stage, there isn't much to do in the terminal; most of the file handling can be done more easily in ES file explorer. I'd get the heavy work done on a computer and use Android to move the files into place.
    Where I'd like to go is:
    -find and then share knowledge about where essential files, eg in-app dictionaries, are kept;
    -get shell scripts to work;
    -find and overcome the stumbling blocks, eg sdcard mounted noexec, and some locations protected by a lack of space message that turns out to be a spoof.
    Commandline is mostly used for installing modules and software, and carrying out bulk operations with groups of files. I sense that we are still dependent on the apk files provided mostly by the industry, and am sure it will take more accomplished coders than me to drive this change, but will enjoy participating!

Quote Originally Posted by sonichedgehog View Post
    well, the android shell is quite limited... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1979909 gives a guide to it. Eg I see there's no cp , but cat is used instead with different syntax. That won't be a problem anyway, because there are probably bash shell apps available on Googleplay, so I expect that the terminal can be used just like Linux.
    I think the issue is that Android, being Unix, has much in common with Mac. Whereas Linux was built by and for hackers, the Android developers need this to be a commercial vehicle. At this stage, there isn't much to do in the terminal; most of the file handling can be done more easily in ES file explorer. I'd get the heavy work done on a computer and use Android to move the files into place.
    Where I'd like to go is:
    -find and then share knowledge about where essential files, eg in-app dictionaries, are kept;
    -get shell scripts to work;
    -find and overcome the stumbling blocks, eg sdcard mounted noexec, and some locations protected by a lack of space message that turns out to be a spoof.
    Commandline is mostly used for installing modules and software, and carrying out bulk operations with groups of files. I sense that we are still dependent on the apk files provided mostly by the industry, and am sure it will take more accomplished coders than me to drive this change, but will enjoy participating!

Hey @sonichedgehog, thanks for all the long and detailed explanation but I didn't get any of the things you are speaking over here except the terminal thing and all ! I guess I am a little more newbie over here to understand the working procedure over linux !
    Peter Carlos
    Rapidsoft Technologies

Hello, newly-minted member of Androidquestions.org. Been a long-time member of LQ, I'm quite experienced with Linux in general, Fedora and RHEL/CentOS in particular. Being of a techie bent, I've extended my curiosity to all of my Android phones I've owned. I've rooted them all, installed various ROMs, and had great fun poking around under the hood. I hope I can contribute to the knowledge base of this group. Look forward to working with you all!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I'm having some fun with my recently released Kindle Fire, but its mainly due to access to GooglePlay. As you can see from my posts, I'm having specific issues with the non-web based translation, but this is mostly due to the limitations of the shell - i.e. inability ro make an experimental change and use the time and date on the files to see where the changes have rippled through. Have you found an android shell that's anything like bash?