Tethering a phone to a tablet as a modem

I have a eee transformer , with wifi built in . I was wondering is there a way to tether a android phone to it via the usb connection and have the phone act as a modem , I'd like to be able to use the tablet without having to be near a wifi hotspot. I'd like the phone to act as a modem. is this feasible ? Has anyone done this ?

Thanks

Greg

Which king of phone You use or intend to use as modem. Let's say another android phone or other type need his own solution.
    I prefer to use a wifi twtherin from tablet to smartphone but i can use smartphone as wifi hotspot for tablet too (each of them, tablet and smartphone have data plan on different provider).

It depends on the version of Anroid running on your phone. Android 2.2 should have the option to turn the phone into a wifi hotspot. There are two caveats: firstly it will use a lot of battery, secondly you should have a mobile broadband data plan in addition to the mobile internet plan on your phone. This works with a Samsung Galaxy Europa and Advent Vega bit I'm waiting until 10 October when Giffgaff start offering mobile broadband before I really use it. Tethering (using a mobile phone to make an internet connection for another device) is normally against the mobile company's Ts & Cs and they can tell when you're doing it.
    It is unlikely that you can use a mobile via a USB cable because that would require the drivers for your phone to be in the Android kernel of the Acer but it could be a ccase of try it and see.

Greg
    A friend showed me this app today that uses your phone as a wifi hotspot which would let your phone be the modem for
    your tablet.

its called Foxfi. it is a free android app
    Make sure you have a data plan for your phone

Hope this helps
    Vanessa