Nexus 7 headphones not loud

I have a second generation Nexus 7 tablet with Lollipop on it, I have been watching youtube videos on it and the sound is softer than it used to be. I have the volume up full blast and it's not as loud as it used to be. When I sit in a quiet room with the volume all the way up it's nowhere near as loud as it used to be. What is happening here, did Lollipop add like a safety feature to keep you from going deaf, is there a setting I can change in order to make it louder again, I need to know why my tablet headphone jack isn't generating as much sound as it used to. I know it isn't the headphones because I use them on my Moto X android all the time and they work perfectly, also they work perfectly on my laptop as well.

I'd assume there's a setting somewhere (Graphic eqiualiser or something) which needs adjusted. I've got the 2012 Nexus 7 with lollipop 5.1 on it. It's generally behaving like a three legged donkey but when it does work it's pretty good. I loaded VLC as my video player and discovered the equaliser hidden beneath, now I've set it up the sound is astonishing. Much better than before.
    That doesn't help your youtube necessarily.

Now, if I can just find some info on sorting out the weird laggyness it sometimes has even after clearing cache and adjusting animation and hardware GPU via the "Developer Options" settings...

Play Bonny!