See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9

Almost no-one is using the latest version of Android

Google's latest mobile OS Android 5.0 Lollipop is continuing to see a disappointingly small number of installs, according to new data released by the company.

As reported by 9to5Google, Google has released its monthly stats on the distribution of the various versions of its Android mobile operating system. Lollipop has risen since last month — but only just. 3.3% of Android phones now run Lollipop, as compared to 1.6% at the start of February.

It's illustrative of the problem Google faces whenever it releases a new version of its operating system: It has very little power to see that it actually gets implemented.

Whereas Apple builds both its hardware and its software, ensuring that new versions of iOS are swiftly installed, Google isn't responsible for distribution. Instead, it's up to the smartphone manufacturers themselves — HTC, Samsung, etc. — to roll it out for their customers. But they can be extremely slow on the uptake, leaving the overwhelming majority of Android users with an outdated experience of the OS that doesn't represent what it is today.

More people still use Gingerbread — released in February 2011 — than Lollipop, the latest version.
    More at Business Insider...

Are you using a device with Lollipop installed?

--jeremy

Several!

Rooted Galaxy S3
    Nvidia Shield tablet
    Nexus 7 tablet

Regards,

Ian

Hmmm, maybe also because most of the users preferred the previous version of android

1 members found this post helpful.

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by djnoslee View Post
    Hmmm, maybe also because most of the users preferred the previous version of android
    I know I prefer Jellybean which came with my tablet, Nexus 7. Lollipop came along to upgrade, I allowed it and it slowed the whole thing down terribly. I didn't prefer to many of the changes and also found some very BAD screen brightness bugs and undesirable behaviors related to brightness. Overall, I didn't like Lollipop, it performed slowly and the bugs didn't help.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
    I know I prefer Jellybean which came with my tablet, Nexus 7. Lollipop came along to upgrade, I allowed it and it slowed the whole thing down terribly. I didn't prefer to many of the changes and also found some very BAD screen brightness bugs and undesirable behaviors related to brightness. Overall, I didn't like Lollipop, it performed slowly and the bugs didn't help.
    Then, you are a good example now why most of android users doesn't use the latest android version.

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by djnoslee View Post
    Then, you are a good example now why most of android users doesn't use the latest android version.
    My wife and I both have Nexus tablets, different hardware versions, but still both the same platforms and both manufactured by Asus. They originally came with Jellybean and upon the upgrades to Lollipop they both became problems, so we went back.

And the most horrific problem was a combination, (1) it defaults to auto brightness and that's a joke it flutters all over the place, sort of like "lighting" in general screws it up which makes it obnoxious to look at. OK fine, don't use that (2) One late night reading a book it was very bright so I went to set the brightness to minimum as I'd done in the past. Minimum to that version means pretty much OFF, black screen! I lifted my finger before I realized the problem. So, now I could use the tablet if I exited the book reader, but when entering book reading, I saw my book and then it quickly faded. I could not get the menu fast enough to fix it. Very bad problem. I read and searched until I found someone saying that you had to clean your screen very well, take it into a completely dark place, and shine a very bright point light at like a 45 degree angle at it and you'd be able to barely see the screen and then fix your problem. That did work, but boy it was obnoxious.

I guess I either didn't feel like typing that all out last time or I didn't trust myself to not use profanities like crazy. You don't want to be "fixing" stuff at 11:30 PM when all you wanted to do was chill and read a few pages before going to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
    You don't want to be "fixing" stuff at 11:30 PM when all you wanted to do was chill and read a few pages before going to sleep.
    Haha, I like it more on this part, I do feel you bro, haha

Is it really happening? If it is true, can you please share the latest version?

Quote: "Google's latest mobile OS Android 5.0 Lollipop is continuing to see a disappointingly small number of installs, ..."

Well, like anything else, with time, things change. I have a very solid Droid Turbo (not a Turbo 2, not a Droid Z), and it runs Android 5.1.1. These days, that's "old news". Most of the newer systems have some implementation of Android 6.0, in spite of the fact that Android 7.1 is available.

The simple fact of the matter is that by the time most vendors integrate their hardware and software, test it and offer test versions, the next release, or the next two releases of Android have already been released. The only way to "keep up" is to either get a vendor-neutral system from the start and keep it installed and updated regularly, or root the system, replacing everything.

A "Pixel" device might be the easiest way to do this to get the very latest hardware and Android software.