Android Tablet vs ereader

I need to get an ereader and I am wondering if an android tablet can be used in this way. If so, what are the limitations regarding formats?

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    I've got a Google Nexus 7 and use Google Play to buy books. I don't know if there are limitations on book formats or even what the formats these books are in. But it works fine and can support a good library. I also do not have problems reading offline.

Quote Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
    I've got a Google Nexus 7 and use Google Play to buy books. I don't know if there are limitations on book formats or even what the formats these books are in. But it works fine and can support a good library. I also do not have problems reading offline.
    Thanks for your reply

What I use to view eBooks on Android is FBRederJ

Quote Originally Posted by jerry55 View Post
    I need to get an ereader and I am wondering if an android tablet can be used in this way. If so, what are the limitations regarding formats?
    An Android tablet is my standard eBook viewer. Format limitations are a matter of the viewer you use.

In my case, the viewer of choice is the open source FBReaderJ. FBReader began as a product written in C, and available for Windows, Linux, and other platforms. FBReaderJ is a port to Java for use on Android and other devices that use Java as the development language.

In both cases, FBReader supports a variety of formats. Under Android, it handles FB2 (the default standard for Russian etexts), ePub and Mobi (Amazon Kindle) native, and can display PDFs and DjVu files via plugins. I prefer to get eBooks as ePub files, but largely don't have to care about format.

Note that FBReader does not handle eBooks with DRM. I don'[t care, because I don't get DRM-laden files.

See http://fbreader.org/FBReaderJ for information. It can be downloaded from the FBReader site, and is also available on the Google Play Store.
    ______
    Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 04-15-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
    An Android tablet is my standard eBook viewer. Format limitations are a matter of the viewer you use.

In my case, the viewer of choice is the open source FBReaderJ. FBReader began as a product written in C, and available for Windows, Linux, and other platforms. FBReaderJ is a port to Java for use on Android and other devices that use Java as the development language.

In both case, FBReader supports a variety of formats. Under Android, it handles FB2 (the default standard for Russian etexts), ePub and Mobi (Amazon Kindle) native, and can display PDFs and DjVu files via plugins. I prefer to get eBooks as ePub files, but largely don't have to care about format.

Note that FBReader does not handle eBooks with DRM. I don'[t care, because I don't [i]get[/t] DRM-laden files.

See http://fbreader.org/FBReaderJ for information. It can be downloaded from the FBReader site, and is also available on the Google Play Store.
    ______
    Dennis
    Thank you for your reply. I am going to check out FBReader

Last edited by jerry55; 04-15-2015 at 07:47 AM. Reason: to correct typing error