Bluetooth on tablets.

I've just bought an H701 Rockchip tablet that specifies Bluetooth support. Never tried this before and would like to know how to check it. What's the simplest cheapest Bluetooth device that can verify connectivity?

I have two Android tablets with bluetooth and they work 100%
    Do you have a cellphone? Even many non smartphones support bluetooth.
    Some laptops have bluetooth built in too.

Otherwise, some bluetooth accessories can be found for a few bucks. Maybe direct from China

Original Poster
    > Do you have a cellphone? Even many non smartphones support bluetooth.

No smartphone; I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to phones. The question is actually a teaser for something meatier. I'm a hardware hacker designing a simple low-frequency oscilloscope using a PIC chip and have decided to use a tablet for the display. Never bothered with them before since REAL computers have I/O ports. Seemed like the only way to get into them was via WiFi - overkill - which was why Bluetooth caught my eye. I've never used it, so it's another learning curve.

> Otherwise, some bluetooth accessories can be found for a few bucks. Maybe direct from China

Yep. For ten bucks you can get a small board with motion sensors and a joystick:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/03/...-energy-board/

Problem then is software in the tablet to make use of it. The ideal thing would probably be a simple, single Bluetooth push-button:

http://www.gearbest.com/cables-adapter/pp_58618.html

... with an app that flashed red and green or summat. I could then duplicate this functionality - some Java code for my own app and a PIC connected to a Bt Xmitter - and I'd have a basic I/O channel. Which is why I figgered that someone else must've done it, which is why I posted ...

Anyway, hope I haven't turned a simple question into something that frightens the kids and scares away useful suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by tekra View Post
    > Do you have a cellphone? Even many non smartphones support bluetooth.

No smartphone; I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to phones. The question is actually a teaser for something meatier. I'm a hardware hacker designing a simple low-frequency oscilloscope using a PIC chip and have decided to use a tablet for the display. Never bothered with them before since REAL computers have I/O ports. Seemed like the only way to get into them was via WiFi - overkill - which was why Bluetooth caught my eye. I've never used it, so it's another learning curve.
    Many cellphones have bluetooth. Not just smartphones.

Problem then is software in the tablet to make use of it. The ideal thing would probably be a simple, single Bluetooth push-button:

http://www.gearbest.com/cables-adapter/pp_58618.html

... with an app that flashed red and green or summat. I could then duplicate this functionality - some Java code for my own app and a PIC connected to a Bt Xmitter - and I'd have a basic I/O channel. Which is why I figgered that someone else must've done it, which is why I posted ...
    Haven't done any bluetooth development myself. But app development overall isn't bad if you know a little Java.

Does your tablet have a USB host port? If a wire is acceptable, you might consider seeing if a USB to serial adapter would work.

Original Poster
    > Haven't done any bluetooth development myself. But app development overall isn't bad if you know a little Java.

Perl, C and assembler for me, but got a good book by Herb Schildt from Oracle Press and the first thing is that Java is much like C. I've been putting off learning enough Gtk to write a few simple things (hate big software jobs), but Java has its own widget sets, so I'm congratulating myself on NOT learning a PC-only set and figure on using Java for both Android and Linux.

> Does your tablet have a USB host port? If a wire is acceptable, you might consider seeing if a USB to serial adapter would work.

No. Confusing: the mini-USB is only for charging it seems: the software setup screen lists USB as "not connected". Other than that only a 3.5mm audio out. The tablet is really very good for the price - A$45 from Gearbest:

http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_132018.html

... but as usual there's almost no English docn so lots of guesswork and some careful testing later on. Rockchip RK3126 is well-documented as is Android 4.4 so it's ideal as an inexpensive development platform. Build quality seems v acceptable.

Device(s)
    Kyocera Brigadier Dell Venue 8
    Is your tablet a mini usb or microusb, most are micro unless they are old. Most support host mode, get a $3 'USB OTG' cable and plut it in your tablet and then plug in a flash drive and see if the table sees it.

Microchop (PIC maker) has a bunch of info on building Android connected devices. They have dev boards and example software downloads for both the pic and the android.

Though what your building may already be done
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-11900

Last edited by enine; 03-25-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Original Poster
    > Is your tablet a mini usb or microusb, most are micro unless they are old. Most support host mode,

Good question - yes, micro - and I hadn't expected host mode. Thanks!

> get a $3 'USB OTG' cable and plut it in your tablet and then plug in a flash drive and see if the table sees it.

Will do, much appreciated.

> Microchop (PIC maker) has a bunch of info on building Android connected devices ...

Thanks again, will take a look.

> Though what your building may already be done ...

Yes, I expect is has; only that I have a specific purpose in mind for which the LF osc is just the foundation: plant monitoring for electrobiology. But I'll check this out in case there are some useful ideas.

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    Besides trying any particular item just enable bluetooth and let it scan for devices.

> Perl, C and assembler for me, but got a good book by Herb Schildt from Oracle Press and the first thing is that Java is much like C.

Absolutely Java is very much like C and C++ and if you use the ADK to do your development it will pretty much take care of syntax, scope, and variable types.

I did one project in Bluetooth. It was easy to use the API functions, the confusion really was how involved did we wish the integration between the Bluetooth and the app to be. For instance the app could've raised an alert and then turned on the Bluetooth capabilities if it weren't on. We chose to just complain and not run fully until the user went to Settings and fixed that. Similarly, we could've allowed it to show all available BT devices found, or limit it to only show the specific device types we were designing for. So it really came down to choices as to how much we'd allow the app to do versus have documentation which said something like "connect to your slave device and then run the app"

For instance, a phone dialing app doesn't care if you have a BT headset versus not. So it will run and if there is a BT headset connected, it pumps the audio through that interface. In our case the whole point of the app was to communicate over the BT, and we did choose to decide that if the BT was not enabled, or connected properly, that we'd just complain, show the main app screen and not be able to do anything further. But we had an earlier revision where we could do the whole enable and search functions. At some point you're really duplicating the on-system settings, which someone pointed out, so we realized that and backed off from trying to do all in the app.