Can Android be run on a PC?

I'm new to Android and planning to write a simple app. Can it be installed on a PC to make easier the initial stages of development? It uses the Lx kernel and I currently run Gentoo, so I'm interested in the degrees of similarity and difference at this early stage of my learning.

There's an Android version for PC that you can get from this site: http://www.android-x86.org/.

I'm not a developer so I don't know how the whole process of developing apps works, but keep in mind that this is an x86 Android version and most mobile devices are ARM, so you probably need to compile your app for ARM devices. (You probably know this already, just thought I'd let you know).

root

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, HTC One M9
    You can see a screencast of Android x86 in action at LQ: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...st-4175537475/

--jeremy

Original Poster
    Thanks to both. Yes: cross-compiling is one of the hurdles I thought I'd bypass during the initial stages, although since Java is tokenized and interpreted, its pretty much guaranteed.

Last edited by tekra; 04-07-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Talking Yes

Quote Originally Posted by tekra View Post
    I'm new to Android and planning to write a simple app. Can it be installed on a PC to make easier the initial stages of development? It uses the Lx kernel and I currently run Gentoo, so I'm interested in the degrees of similarity and difference at this early stage of my learning.
    Yes you can. I downloaded blue stacks which has android simulator. I can enjoy all the apps that android has.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it will ask for Apk installer. Its not hard.

Device(s)
    Xperia x10 mini pro
    I once ran on a virtual machine, but it worked very slowly (version 4.0.4)

Right, using blue stack we can run all the apps of android on PC

Yup!! We got lots of application that turns our PC into android. Just have a look in play store. "AirDroid"

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G2 Nexus 4 SGH T999

Can Android be run on a PC?

If you're looking into app development, first step would be Android Studio from Google. This gets adb working, and has a bunch of virtual devices so you can check your app on multiple devices/android versions. I run Ubuntu, and it's relatively simple to setup compared to developing an entire app.