A list of free, usable basic apps

I'm a late starter - never owned a "smart" phone - and have just bought my first tablet, so Android is a new experience. Thus far it has just scraped into my "acceptable" rating and confirmed the worst of my suspicions about it. Trying to find a useful PDF reader has proved most apps to be little more than worthless marketing ploys by the computationally challenged.

I'm also new to AndroidQuestions, though have been an occasional poster at LinuxQuestions for years. In posing the following I'll mention that I haven't yet rooted my tablet but intend to do so. I'm wondering if there exists:

1. Anywhere on this site that provides a categorized list of free, usable basic apps to set up a device for productive use.

2. Anywhere else on the Inet offering a similar list.

3. Any determined effort to fork Android and reclaim the code for a TRUE OSS mobile operating platform independent of G***le.

As regards the last I'm aware of MIUI and a couple of others, but they strike me as attempts to retain the commercially-oriented aspects by juvenile megabuck wanna-be's that poison any false pretence at real open source. My apologies if this post seems a trifle cynical; I've been as kind as I can.

Device(s)
    Asus Nexus 7
    I still don't own a smart phone. But develop Android and iOS apps for work. I still am trying to find any real use for tablets beyond simple mobile things like GPS, calls, quick web look ups, games, books, music, pictures. A couple of issues are that file transfer for the google nexus devices are near incomprehensible, we end up using email which limits in the case of video. I just never put in enough horsepower to determine alternate ways to transfer off the tablet for when we make a movie that's bigger than 20 MB and hence too large for email.

As far as a list. I'd be interested too. Editing documents, or editing anything lengthy? Too difficult with the touchscreen keyboard. We got a bluetooth keyboard which is fairly full sized. OK for editing, but there's really no Microsoft word there, just notes apps. It works, and then becomes the question of transfer again. Email. It however is not like I can easily print, or edit a document sent to me by someone else, further, any document I would create, same issue in sending it to someone else.

I have found that Adobe does have a reader for Android. So I see PDF documents. An issue though is that unlike books where I could change the font size and see larger text, the PDF document is always one page as set up in the PDF document. Hence I may need to zoom in and then I'm no longer viewing an entire page on the screen at once. Inconvenient.

Never bothered to root these devices. I see a ton of people looking or instructing how to do that. The only reasons I've seen are to fool games or apps so that you can run them more or freely, or get infinite tokens and stuff. No real need. Such as any applications which I've developed, they have not required me to root any device to be able to install, manage, or run the apps I've developed.

Also haven't fought any of the existing OS via trying to replace it or anything and lived within the allowed APIs that are there. The provided APIs have always been sufficient.

Original Poster
    Thanks for a thoughtful reply.

Quote Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
    I still am trying to find any real use for tablets beyond simple mobile things like GPS ...
    Ditto. I'm a retired electronics engineer and have finally found two uses for them:

1. Simple: I've sat my new El Cheapo tablet above my soldering etc station to give immediate access to circuit diagrams, pinouts etc.

2. Under development: Should make a great touchscreen interface to the 2+2 channel LF oscilloscope + signal generator I'm building using PIC uC's with Bluetooth comms.

... we end up using email ...
    You're a lot braver than I am.

Editing documents, or editing anything lengthy?
    Forget it! No point, unless you're one of those ?dorks that actually does these things - AND watches MOVIES on them!!! Why on earth ...

I have found that Adobe does have a reader for Android ... Inconvenient
    Gross understatement. Have never liked Adobe s/w: it always tries to take over everything, and the one I've installed puts so many menu bars on the screen there's nothing left for content.

Never bothered to root these devices.
    I'll let you into a secret I'd never tell anyone else: I've been running root for more than a dozen years; no problems so long as you know what you're doing. I use Gentoo so it's basically the default.

What I'm planning to do is get root access on the tablet and set it up as primarily a display peripheral to save me running across to the PC, but with the major convenience of touchscreen control. May need a few custom scripts, but seems quite doable.

Here you will find a list of Top Android App of 2015. All of these apps are free.
    https://www.androidpit.com/best-free-android-apps

Best Music Equalizer for Windows 7/8/10 http://www.equalizerpro.com/

Original Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopesnb View Post
    Here you will find a list of Top Android App of 2015. All of these apps are free.
    Well done, sir!

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia M4 Aqua, Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Its a good list and i'm using some of those apps today.

Thanks for sharing, i will try some of them today.

I like to use LEO Privacy Guard V 3.0 to lock all of my apps. It is fully featured and totally secured than the overly rated Applock app.
    Give LEO privacy guard a try!

Thank you so much for above link. As i bought a new handset I was waiting for this answer.

I wonder do you have any experience about pdf to text conversion process? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Pan