Samsung Galaxy S6 - Is native SIP still available?

Previously, it was in

Telephone > Call options > Internet calls > Accounts

but that location doesn't exist in the S6.

Second the motion

Quote Originally Posted by el_gallo_azul View Post
    Previously, it was in Telephone > Call options > Internet calls > Accounts but that location doesn't exist in the S6.
    I am also looking for this setting, since without it my S6 is close to useless to me.

Have you found it? Does anyone else know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistadog View Post
    I am also looking for this setting, since without it my S6 is close to useless to me.

Have you found it? Does anyone else know anything about this?
    Brace yourself - the S6 does not have native SIP. I contacted Samsung about this, and they said that they had 'passed on my feedback to the Engineering team'.

As long as it's not available in Samsung's Android 5.0.2 ROM, I'm using an app called CSipSimple. I have also installed SipDroid but I haven't started to use that yet.

My intention is to have an app called Tasker switch on mobile data and my (home phone) SIP account whenever I leave my wifi network, and off again as soon as I go into my network, which I have done previously on Samsung's Android 4.1.2 ROM (although that native SIP was a bit quirky). I haven't found a way to do that with CSipSimple nor SipDroid yet though.

Thanks for the info and the tip! I'm trying CSipSimple and so far I LOVE it. Far better than others I've tried.

At least it's good to know who is the one saying "no".

There are a couple of other vendor quirks I don't like on the S6, but not enough (yet) to ditch the phone.

I imagine that before long I'll be rooting and changing ROMs to an Android flavor that isn't so draconian about these things.

Thanks again!

Yes I'm quite keen to install a different ROM.

A couple of years ago, when I had Android 4.0.2 without native SIP, I tried quite a few SIP client apps. I ended up using one called "Telnet"-something (I just had a quick look and couldn't find it in Google Play Store). That app was my favourite at the time, because I was able to keep adding SIP accounts - I was using 3 at the time - and toggle them on and off. It seems that this is also possible with CSipSimple.

When Android 4.1.2 came out, I discovered that it had native SIP so I moved across to it.

When I discovered recently that the S6 doesn't have native SIP, I used CSipSimple because it was one of the apps that I had tried previously. I like it because it's a two-step process to toggle a SIP account on or off. Native SIP is better though, because it's a one-step process, and because it's easy to use Tasker to toggle it.

I tried SipDroid for a day or two this week, and ended up uninstalling it because I couldn't work out how to toggle a SIP account on and off. Also, from memory, I think you can only have a maximum of two SIP accounts. Or maybe only one.

I'd like to hear how you get on with a different ROM, and whether native SIP reappears. I am confident that Google would not have removed this functionality from Android.

Last edited by el_gallo_azul; 05-08-2015 at 07:38 PM.

There was an update of the Samsung ROM today. Still no native SIP.