Exclamation Connection Ubuntu 10.04 <-> Galaxy Tab 10.1 unreliable

When I connect my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to Linux via USB (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Gnome desktop), the connection is very unreliable. For example, sometimes I can browse the file system on the Galaxy Tab. Sometimes I can browse the folders, but no files are visible. Sometimes I can copy files to the Galaxy Tab, but not create any folders.

Is it just my hardware/software combination, or have others noticed this problem?

I haven't any that problems. Did you connect by hub or directly to PC, how long is your cable? Can you try with the newest LiveCD Ubuntu?

It's connected directly to the PC, using the included cable (about one metre).

I tried booting with the Ubuntu Desktop 11.04 CD, but got the same result. i could only browse the top-level folders on the Galaxy Tab; no files or sub-folders were visible.

Try using samba

Using a file manager that has samba client support has been the most reliable method for me. For mtp transfers, try the fuse mtpfs program to mount on a directory in your home directory. Using the mtp tools are useless for my Sansa P2 player, but mtpfs works.