See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Why 'root' the phone?

This is a silly question and one that everywhere I look seems to assume people know the answer to.

Why 'root' the phone?

I mean why do people want to root a android?

First, if you want to load custom operating system (there are some based on Android) or just compiled by yourself, because Android is open source, you need to switch off securities - only root can do that. The second reason is that root have more control on your phone, for example someone can switch off this annoying sound during taking photos (in some countries this sound is obligatory), you can throw away unused by you applications, which are permamently installed (for example I deleted tweeter, facebook, help, etc.), you can change CPU speed, and many other small things that only root can do and you just want.

2 members found this post helpful.

Is there a beginners guide for all this?

For rooting? Methods depends on your hardware. You can search xda forum for your phone and rooting procedure. But I can't say that this is for begginers, be aware that if you make one mistake you may brake your phone, with warranty rejected or not.

1 members found this post helpful.

eSelix, thanks for mentioning this! I have found everything!))

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Galaxy y, acer timelinex
    rooting allows you to use full resource and power of your phone just by opening the blocked system file and switching or bypas its security level, it is mainly a sort of hacking, before rooting download unroot file also so that when you claim warranty you could remove the root access i.e unrooting. And till now there is no methort which can detect whether the phone WAS rooted or not.

1 members found this post helpful.

Root basically allows you access to parts of the system and memory which are not available normally. In other words, you are able to make changes to the system you wouldn't be otherwise.What does it mean to you as an end user? Well, plenty, depending on your needs and phone itself.For starters, root access gives you the ability to install a custom kernel or rom.

Step by Step|Technology Guide

Last edited by keirawatson; 10-19-2012 at 02:44 AM.

In Short, you get get the core access of your Phone OS and you can make any changes in your Mobile OS as you want.