See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

What's the best way to format an sdcard to be used in android tablet?

I was trying to use an sdcard for booting up an iBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8 but it proved to be impossible. Now I'm trying to use that same card with this android tablet but even though is detected it can't be written on nor read...

I suspect it has something to do with that 'boot' bit that needs to be set in order to use it as a boot device, but not sure.

Still, I want to use the card for alleviating memory capacity issues at the tablet: that's the best formatting tool one can use at an android tablet running 4.4.2?

Thanks in advance for any info on this!

I dont know the best way but i will format SD card from my phone, settings, erase everything.

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

I did as you said in your reply but how can I move or copy a file into the card?

I suspect that it's dificult to find a file manager within android KitKat that may do the job, as in the case of finding a terminal window (shell).

If you have any info on any of the above issues it will be appreciated!

If you dont have file manager in your device, you can download a third party app for file manager, i have one called B1 File Manager. which i use to transfer data from phone to SD card in my kitkat device.

I installed your recommended app but after playing a little with it I didn't recognized how to select or transfer files from one place to another. Worst than that, was unable to find the sdcard; is it necessary to mount it every time I'm going to use it?

Today I mounted the sdcard on the tablet and then opened the app. Well, I selected the "Go to another place" and found sdcard0 but that is certainly the inner memory and NOT the removable media we are talking about here.

My original question arises again -- see my first post in detail.

PS. I don't remember the format I've given it at the beginning but it might be FAT32, is this readable by the android system?

What file system you, nilofar_iqbar, used to format the sdcard?

I always use FAT 16 (FAT) file system to format my SD card. what you use?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G2 Nexus 4 SGH T999

What's the best way to format an sdcard to be used in android tablet?

Benny, your first post says the card can't be written or read. have you tried it in another device? other than the Mac that it did not work in also

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for replying, mvanwey!

In fact, yesterday I went to a friends house and tried it at a Toshiba running Win8 and it recognized the presence of the device and even offered to format it. It was not capable of looking into it and this fact moves me to believe that it's fs isn't FAT at all... Now I believe it might be ext(2 or 3); but it is curious that when tried to format the device it wasn't possible.

All the above was tried with an USB adapter for the card. Later I discovered that the laptop had a port for an sdcard and tried it but then it was not even recognized???

I suggested to my friend to d/l ActiveKillDisk since he said that he has 4 big pendrives with valuable data on them but was also unreachable but after considering that this program is very powerful it was a potential high risk tool to have too handy he decided not to d/l it. At the end I went out with exactly the same conviction as when I entered: the sdcard is still a closed black box for me. So I still don't know what was the outcome of performing that 'wiping procedure' at the tablet.

Any ideas?

I've forgotten the app that I used in the first place to format the sdcard at the iBook but a nephew of mine reminded me of DiskUtility there and I managed to mount it, read it, write to it and reformat at the laptop (FAT16).

The problem at the tablet now is that although it can be read it doesn't allow me to move anything there. Have seen the term 'root' a few times while looking for info on this issue and I've to say that I'm not sure what it really means:

1) I've to put another OS that gives me the possibility of getting root privileges or;

2) I've to find the way of getting root privileges within my present platform (4.4.2) or an app that do it for me.

Can you explain me what are my choices now that I've jumped the first hurdle? Thanks!

SD cards come formatted as FAT32. I don't understand why you would need to format them, and if you do, you certainly don't want to use FAT16.

The basic unit of storage in a FAT file system is the cluster. It's the smallest section of disk that may be read from or written to in one operation. Each cluster must have a unique address. FAT16 uses a 16 bit address, which means there can be a maximum of 2^16, or 65,536 clusters in a FAT16 volume. How big a cluster is depends on the volume being formatted, but the maximum size of a FAT16 volume is 2GB. Current drives are far larger than that. I'm not sure you can buy an SD card that is only 2GB. IF you do format a larger card as FAT16, you'll wind up with 2GB of usable space and the rest wasted unless you partition the card into multiple 2GB slices and format each slice independently. If you do, will the device you are using the card in handle that? Why would you want to even if it can?

FAT32 uses a 32 bit address, and can handle much larger volumes. It was introduced by Microsoft for exactly that reason.
    ______
    Dennis