Yet Another Android Failure Mode - Insufficient Storage error when plenty exists

I have an Android tablet running Android 4.4.2 KitKat. It has a quad-core 1.3ghz ARM Cortex 7 CPU, 512MB RAM, and 8GB of flash, with 2GB available as app storage and 2GB assigned to the internal SD card.

It's rooted, and I have a 32GB microSD card installed. The card is partitioned to have a 3GB Linux ext4 filesystem slice, with the rest as standard FAT32. I use the Link2SD app to put some large apps on the card with a symlink in the root file system.

In the past week, the tablet has developed a weird quirk I haven't seen before. An app downloaded from the Play Store will fail to install, claiming "Insufficient Storage available", but Android thinks there are 750MB free of the default 2GB allocated.

The problem children are mostly Google apps. Gmail successfully updates, as does Talkback. Docs, Sheets, Slides, the main Google app and Chrome all fail to install, even though they were there before and these are upgrades to existing versions. Firefox also fails with the same error, so it's not a specifically Google problem. The ones with issues all tend to be larger. Smaller apps don't exhibit the problem.

It also doesn't matter if the app was moved to the card or is in main storage. Docs, Sheets, and Slides were moved, but Calendar and Firefox were not.

I suspect the fix is to reset to factory default state, and redo my changes and installations. Before I do so, has anyone else seen this behavior or have an idea what might cause it?

Thanks in advance.
    ______
    Dennis

Device(s)
    Galaxy Tab A 9.7 '' Galaxy s6 marshmallow

t

What manfacturer is you're tablet? Whay does the manfacturer claim is the maximum size of microsd/sd card that the device can handle? Have you tried the same operations with the device restored to factory default rom

Quote Originally Posted by flipper_droid View Post
    What manfacturer is you're tablet? Whay does the manfacturer claim is the maximum size of microsd/sd card that the device can handle?
    It's an Azpen A746. Azpen says the max SD card size is 32GB. I have an earlier Azpen A727 running Jellybean that has a similar configuration and does not exhibit the problem.

This worked fine till about a week ago.

Have you tried the same operations with the device restored to factory default rom
    I'd like to avoid doing that, which is why I queried for other's experience. I'll do it if needed, but would rather not wipe it and recreate my config from scratch.

There are several threads on XDA Developers complaining about the same issue, but no real "always works" solution posted, or any real idea of the underlying cause. Blowing away app specific data in the /data/app-data/ hierarchy has been reported to work in some cases, so I'm looking at that.
    ______
    Dennis

Device(s)
    Most hardware manufactures recommend only sticking to their roms do in major part to the fact that the big brands such as dell, Sam Sund and others throughly test the latest releases fromm google accross a wide range of devices.

Most hardware manufactures recommend only sticking to their roms do in major part to the fact that the big brands such as dell, Sam Sund and others throughly test the latest releases fromm google accross a wide range of devices.
    I haven't fiddled with the stock ROM. I just rooted it. That unlocks root access, and lets me do things like store apps on and run them from an ext4 partition on a microSD card, and disable default apps I don't want or use. I looked at things like CyanogenMod, but the last I looked there wasn't a CM image for my device.

A reset should restore it to factory default configuration, but as mentioned I'd prefer not to do that unless I can't find another option, and I'd really like to know what triggers the condition. (So would the posters in about four different threads on XDA Developers. )
    ______
    Dennis

Device(s)
    You don't necessarily nedd to root and void you're deviced warranty to b t e able topstore aplications on sd cards. As i write this reply i happen to be viewing androidquestions.org through firefox which isstored on my Galaxytab 3's Gt -p5210 running kit Katt 4.4.2, which as far as I can tell is the furthest variant of android that you canrun on a galaxy tab 3 and still get support through Samsung.

You don't necessarily nedd to root and void you're deviced warranty to be able to store aplications on sd cards.
    I don't care about device warranty in this case. The Azpen model is low end, and cost me a whopping $35. If it breaks, I buy a new one.

As i write this reply i happen to be viewing androidquestions.org through firefox which isstored on my Galaxytab 3's Gt -p5210 running kit Katt 4.4.2, which as far as I can tell is the furthest variant of android that you can run on a galaxy tab 3 and still get support through Samsung.
    Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing.

My tablet has 8GB of flash. 2GB of that are configured as application storage. Another 2GB are configured as an internal SD card. Many apps will let you partially move them to the internal card to save space in application storage, using the built-in app2sd function. (Not all apps can be treated this way. They must be designed to be able to do it.) I believe Firefox is an app that can be partially installed on the internal card. Doing that does not require root.

What I do is partition the 32GB external card to add a Linux ext4 filesystem on a partition alongside the FAT32 volume. Apps run from a card must reside on a Linux file system. FAT32 has no place to store the metadata Linux needs, like file ownership and permissions.

When the card is inserted in the tablet and it's booted, Android sees the Linux file system and mounts it. (It appears as /data/extsd2 on my device.) Once I have that file system mounted, I can use the Link2SD utility to move applications to the card and run them from it. Link2SD moves the application, and places a symlink in the root filesystem pointing to it. Android follows the symlink and lads and runs the app. I doesn't care that the app is on an external card instead of internal storage.

Placing the symlink is what requires root, as it is a change to the root file system.

I strongly suspect Firefox on your Galaxy Tab 3 is actually running off the internal SD card, and not an external microSD card.
    ______
    Dennis