How to root Nexus 7 with android 5.1.1 installed

I have tried a few "ducked" (as opposed to googled) methods but they seem to relate to 2013 installed versions of android (using Mint 17 to achieve this via fastboot etc) but they seem to fail. But it is difficult to tell which version of twrp is needed for which version of android.

The bootloader is currently unlocked and I have previously installed bodhi and another o/s using kde (someones phd project) neither of which is still supported. I then completely wiped it and reinstalled the stock image which updated to lollipop.

Installing linux on it is probably not feasible (non-compliant version of Nexus 7 2013, for Ubuntu drivers) but it would give me some control if I could root the thing- puting Debian on it would be marvelous!

Fred.
    Last edited by Fred Caro; 07-11-2016 at 09:01 PM. Reason: ambiguos

Kingo Root might do it

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Caro View Post
    Installing linux on it is probably not feasible (non-compliant version of Nexus 7 2013, for Ubuntu drivers) but it would give me some control if I could root the thing- puting Debian on it would be marvelous!
    Fred.
    I have a tablet running 5.1 Lollipop that I successfully rooted with Kingo Root, one of the "one click root" solutions.

I did it from Windows via USB cable, and Kingo pushed the required exploit and installed the Superuser root request broker app.

I did have to try it several times before it took.

Since I gather you are on Linux, the Windows based solution may not be an option for you. Kingo also offers a rooting apk you can download to the tablet and run. That didn't work for me, but might for you.

See https://www.kingoapp.com/ for details.

Kingo also installs a couple of other things, like a Super battery app and a file manager, I uninstalled both. I just wanted root, thank you.

Once rooted, applications that can use root will attempt to get it, and the Superuser app will pop up a dialog box asking for permissions. Grant it, and the app has root access. You can run Superuser by itself to get a list of things that currently have root permissions and remove it if desired.

I have no idea whether it will work on the Nexus 7, but it shouldn't break anything if it fails.
    ______
    Dennis