See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Is there a good free app for graphing complicated equations for a Kindle Fire gen #5?

Have been searching at the App Store but haven't found a good one, yet! Also, have been missing the Showbox app there... This last one is a good app, indeed!

I'm asking thinking that the Google App Store isn't the only repository for Android apps there is...

Thanks in advanced for any help on these issues! Hope I'm posting this at the correct place.

PS. The equarions I've in mind are the ones that are covered in Calculus I, II & III. Of course, it should manage parametric, polar and cylindrical forms in both, 2 & 3 dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny7440 View Post
    Have been searching at the App Store but haven't found a good one, yet! Also, have been missing the Showbox app there... This last one is a good app, indeed!

I'm asking thinking that the Google App Store isn't the only repository for Android apps there is...
    Another place to look is the F-Droid repository, at https://f-droid.org/

F-Droid is specifically for free and open source Android apps. They have a client you can install on your Android device and DL directly to it and install.

Various things are available on booth Google Play and F-Droid, but pick one. They have different digital signatures, so you can't for example, upgrade an app from Google Play with a newer version from F-Droid. You must uninstall the Google Play version first.

Thanks in advanced for any help on these issues! Hope I'm posting this at the correct place.

PS. The equarions I've in mind are the ones that are covered in Calculus I, II & III. Of course, it should manage parametric, polar and cylindrical forms in both, 2 & 3 dimensions.
    There is a version of gnuplot up on Google Play. It's a port of a command line app, and you need something like JAck Palevich's Terminal Emulator installed to run it. I don't know whether it would meet your needs.
    ______
    Dennis

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for replying, DMcCunney!

The first problem I'm facing right now is that I went to Google Play & searched specifically for your suggested "Terminal emulator" and it isn't there... I've read that Notepad++ is very good for many technical things, would it be of any use in my case?

That terminal emulator might be located at other locations, too; do you happen to know of other places?

Haven't downloaded gnuplot app yet because need the terminal for it first...

Thanks for replying, DMcCunney!

The first problem I'm facing right now is that I went to Google Play & searched specifically for your suggested "Terminal emulator" and it isn't there...
    I'd love to know how you searched. The one I mentioned is the first hit that comes up here when the search is for Terminal Emulator.

In any case, it's here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.androidterm

And another alternative you can investigate is Termux, here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=com.termux

I've read that Notepad++ is very good for many technical things, would it be of any use in my case?
    Notepad++ is Windows specific. It's based on Neil Hodgson's Scintilla edit control. There are a number of editors based on Scintilla. I have Notepad++ here, but normally use another open source editor based on Scintilla called Notepad2-mod. It's installed to replace standard Windows Notepad through a registry hack. It doesn't do everything Notepad++ does, but it invokes instantly and does what I actually need.

I look at editors all the time. For Android, what I have installed here is
    the open source 920 Editor, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lyin.editor.v2
    the payware version of DroidEdit, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....aor.droidedit
    the payware version of QuickEdit, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.rhmsoft.edit
    and the payware version of TurboEditor https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kyn.fileeditor

There is also an Android port of the open source Vim editor, available as Vim Touch, optimized for touch screens https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...o.app.vimtouch
    and a companion full runtime https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ch.fullruntime
    that gets the rest of Vim for running in a terminal.

That terminal emulator might be located at other locations, too; do you happen to know of other places?
    It's also on the F-Driod Android open source respository I mentioned above: https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...al.androidterm

Haven't downloaded gnuplot app yet because need the terminal for it first...
    See above.
    ______
    Dennis

I'm almost sure that I used: JAck Palevich's Terminal Emulator except maybe without the capital letter A..., but who knows?

Certain things with this Kindle Fire are a little weird. For ex., for more than a decade I've used mainly Firefox for browsing and once I discovered that I can have more than one tab openned and active at the same time I adopted the protocol of having as my Homepage at least 3 tabs, one of them was a link to WQXR in NY. The thing is that I'm listening to my favourite music while, i.e., reading my emails or whatever. The point is that with this tablet I rarely hear anything from there even though I can see clearly that the internet led of the modem is flashing like crazy. The curious thing is that this behaviour is not constant, once in a while I can hear the streamed media until I hit the Pause button, once I do that there's no point of keeping trying it.

I have used an older tablet (like the RCA one) with an older OS signo un experiencing this. This tablet was from a nephew living in Arizona and this summer, while he was visiting left it here at Puerto Rico for his mother, have thought that the OS, or some other programs, might be aware of this and are intervening in the way the audio info is or isn't handled. There must be a reason for this! Have contacted the radio developers about this but they haven't been able to help...

The capital A in PAlevich is my typo, but shouldn't matter. In general, simple search queries do better. As mentioned, Palevich's offering is the first hit in Google Play on the phrase "terminal emulator". There are an assortment of others, like Termux which I also mentioned. They are essentially programs like Xterm in Linux, which provides a console where a command line can be displayed and command line programs an be run.

I don't own a Kindle Fire and have no idea what might be going on on that device. I have Firefox under Android, but Chrome and Dolphin browser also use a tabbed interface. You might test with them and see if they do better about WQXR in a tab while you do other things. This may be a quirk specific to the Fire that you can't fix, but I have no good way to tell.
    ______
    Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-19-2016 at 07:35 PM.

I searched now for simply "terminal emulator" and got the following:
    1) SSH Telnet Client, 2) Serverauditor -SSH client/shell/terminal, 3) Terminal Commander, 4) CommandRunner, 5) Root Analyzer, 6,7,8,9 & 10, all 5 lasts are games???

Do you know & recommend any of these?

There were no other alternatives on the page rendered there at Google Play. Yesterday, a lighting fell very near here & I lost phone & internet service for a few hours. Today I replaced the exploded DSL filter and cleaned all the burnt contacts and learned that don't have to replace my fax nor my wireless phone and regained internet connectivity. At this moment another thunderstorm is approaching so I'm going to disconnect everything, just in case!

I searched now for simply "terminal emulator" and got the following:
    1) SSH Telnet Client, 2) Serverauditor -SSH client/shell/terminal, 3) Terminal Commander, 4) CommandRunner, 5) Root Analyzer, 6,7,8,9 & 10, all 5 lasts are games???

Do you know & recommend any of these?
    I gave you a direct URL for Palevich's Terminal Emulator on Google Play. I have no idea what's going on with search on your end.

The only one of those I've looked at is SSH Telnet Client. I use a different product, but for the most part, this is simply a "just in case" matter. I have no normal need to SSH from my tablet to a host, with my tablet connected as a terminal. Do you?

There were no other alternatives on the page rendered there at Google Play.
    What were you searching from? One quirk I've seen is that Google Play attempts to understand what you are connecting with. I've seen entries in Google Play where Play says they aren't compatible with my device and offers no download link.

(That should not be the case with Palevich's Terminal Emulator - I successfully run it here on an older tablet still running Android Froyo 2.1. (The manufacturer is out of business and it won't get a newer release.)

Yesterday, a lighting fell very near here & I lost phone & internet service for a few hours. Today I replaced the exploded DSL filter and cleaned all the burnt contacts and learned that don't have to replace my fax nor my wireless phone and regained internet connectivity. At this moment another thunderstorm is approaching so I'm going to disconnect everything, just in case!
    Sensible.
    ______
    Dennis

I tried the first link yoj provided in post #4 above, hit installed but never found it within the KF. Then went directly to GP and searched for termux and their engine found nothing.

I even went to Settings to establish my location and Add my own acct. as per the device instructions itsdelf but never found the button to Add an acct.. Apparent!y, the mfg., Google & the Android version have a lot to do with this! The browser I'm using is the built-in Silk but I've d/l Opera so, I'm going to move this conversation & trials there and see if things come out diffdrently...

After installing an apparently working terminal from f-droid I can't find gnuplot at GP nor at f-droid site... Can't beleive that all of this for nothing!?!?!

Any ideas?

PS Posting this from Silk but written on Opera..., can't post from there...

I d/l the terminal, gnuplot 3.7 and a gnuplot manual but for ver 5. Can't find neither a more recent gnuplot version nor a previous version's manual.

Can you, Dennis, or someone else help on this? Thanks in advance!