Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Device(s)
    HTC Butterfly 2 ASUS Fonepad 8

Bluetooth FTP with PC

I got a Sensation and want to FTP some files to and from PC running on Linux, I installed the Bluetooth packages and paired the phone, but I could not send and receive any files between the phone and the PC, I already turn on FTP server service on the phone running a BT file transfer app, I can transfer files between Samsung but not with the PC, I remember it was piece of cake with Nokia, Motorola also no problem, don't know why it is so hard with HTC. Btw after used 4 HTC phones I can be sure to say that it's BT has serious problem, I tried no less than 5 BT handsfree sets and they all have connection problem, they either doesn't connect to media (A2DP) or disconnect randomly, and the BT radio on HTC is pretty weak, always breaking up even I put the phone inside my pocket just couple few away !

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Droidx, Xoom and Comcast MIFI Hotspot
    I had to install a Bluetooth Adapter and the drivers that came with it on my Dell Laptop. Then file transfer worked.

Hallo joboy, I took just one BT hearphones and they worked fine while I have the same problem with file transfer. I'm able to transfer the files in HTC->PC direction only.

Device(s)

Original Poster
    What settings on your phone and PC ? did you use any special apps to do that ?

No special setting. My pc is a standard ubuntu installation. I've just paired the pc and the HTC and I'm able to transfer the file once I accept the connection.

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Did you turn on BT visibility before the transfer ? transfer between Android devices need not to do that, I installed the BT transfer apps on devices and they are always ready. As far as I remember I can browse my Nokia on PC once paired, but I can't do that with Android.

I've paired the devices the first time and now, whenever I want, I can send a file from my HTC to my PC, providing the BT is on on both the devices
    While, at the moment, I'm not able to browse the files from the pc onto the HTC.

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Yes, that worked on Nokia don't know what's missing here.

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII
    Is your Ubuntu PC connected to a wireless router by any chance? If so, I'd advise you install OpenSSH server on it and something like AndFTP on your phone so you can use sftp to transfer files to and from your HTC. Much quicker and generally longer range than BT.

Device(s)

Original Poster
    I turn on wifi hotspot sharing will this do ?

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII
    Quote Originally Posted by joboy View Post
    I turn on wifi hotspot sharing will this do ?
    I would assume that the Ubuntu PC and your HTC would both be connected to the same router. The phone via wireless and the PC by Ethernet cable. No need to turn hotspot on.

Device(s)

Original Poster
    I mean I don't have a router other than the phone, and my tablet prints via the phone to my printer that's my setup

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII
    Maybe my suggestion isn't suitable then. It was just a thought. As I hardly ever use BT these days, I'm afraid I can't advise on the main problem.

Update:
    I just did a quick test using my SGS2 and Mepis Linux PC. I could send a file to my phone from the PC but not the other way round despite having set pairing up.

Last edited by rich_c; 01-18-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Update

Device(s)

Original Poster
    Yes that's what annoyed me most !

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII
    If you search for bluetooth in the Market, the first hit that comes up is for a file transfer app. Might be worth trying that...