Can one install Linux on an Android phone? Can it run Linux software?

..is it possible, what are the risks (could the phone be bricked?), and what is the point ANYWAY, since Android IS a Linux?? I'm particularly interested to know whether a normal smartphone can run the (vast range of) Linux software??

Device(s)
    ASUS Zenfone 3 Max
    You can try a Linux emulator and hope this http://elinux.org/KBOX_Linux_emulator_for_Android will help you

As far as I can tell, no! GNU/Linux isn't really an option on Android phones.
    Whether there is a point? It depends on whether you're fine trusting Google store applications or you would like to be able to trust the people developing the software.

Yes, you can install Linux in your smart phones. If you work as a network admin, You can install Linux tool in your android phone and turn it into a portable network troubleshooting or pen testing device.

Quote Originally Posted by DamiesTechnologies View Post
    Yes, you can install Linux in your smart phones. If you work as a network admin, You can install Linux tool in your android phone and turn it into a portable network troubleshooting or pen testing device.
    It may be helpful if you could expand on this with guidance as to ow this can be done?
    When I read around I see some GNU utils and userlands for "rooted" devices but not much about installing an actual Linux distribution (aside from Android, if it qualifies).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Tablet 9.7'' running 6.0.1 Googol Pixel XL 128GB Running Android Oreo 8.0.0
    You would need to root the device, which i've done it with a former Galaxy Tab SIII , and wound up bricking the Tablet and having tom throw it out all because I wanted Android ^.0 on a device which didn't support it. So beware and avoid voiding you're devices manufacturers warranty.