Replacing the digitizer glass on a Motorola Droid 2 Global

Has anybody done this without completely disassembling the entire phone? Can the digitizer glass not be replace by simply removing the broken/shattered one and installing a new one?

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Droidx, Xoom and Comcast MIFI Hotspot
    Just guessing here, but it seems like the glass would need to be bonded in order to make the touch screen function work.

Actually, there is a mini connector attached to the glass digitizer. The only bonding is a tiny adhesive border that surrounds the entire circumfrance of the glass.

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Do you have a source for the replacement unit? If so, then perhaps that source can sdvise on the bonding material you need to do the job.

John, yes I already have the replacement glass/digitizer, but it came with no instructions or tools. I have watched several You Tube Videos online and know where I can purchase tools. It just seems so backwards to me to have to totally disassemble the entire device to ultimatley get to the broken screen from the back going to the front of the phone when the screen can be removed with a pry tool from the front. The glass screen is already cracked and broken so there is no loss in breaking it more to remove it. Just concerned about a total dissection of the phone and that it may not function after I put it all back together.

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Does the replacement glass appear to have a rim or something that would extend underneath the edge of the case?
    Do you know what kind of adhesive that you need in order to bond the new glass? if you elect to remove the existing broken glass, then you should be ableto see whether the new class will just sit down insidthe case. If the new glass appears to have a rim or beveled edgethen you are probably going to have to get the case off.

The adhesive strips are included on the glass digitizer with a peel and reveal strip.

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    If it were me, I would carefully remove the old glass and then check to see if the new glass fits. If so, pull thestrips off the sides and one of the ends. Put the bare end in place, plug in the cable, pulloff the last strip and drop it in place.
    To keep from snudging the underside of the glass you could tape your finger tips.