Device(s)
    Asus ZenPad 3S 10

Can a removable MicroSD Card in a Tablet be Formated with the EXT4 File System?

I recently bought a new Android tablet running Nougat (version 7) along with a 128GB MicroSD card.
    Everything is working fine.

Out of curiosity, since I use Linux, can that 128GB MicroSD be formatted into the EXT4 File System and still work when inserted into the Android tablet?

Based on an internet search, this question has popped-up but the responses have been ambiguous.
    Additionally, many of the responses were dated.

Any thoughts?
    Anyone have a MicroSD card formatted as EXT4 inserted into an Android tablet?
    Last edited by Steve R.; 10-22-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Device(s)
    Asus ZenPad 3S 10

Original Poster
    My attempt to solve the ability to use the EXT4 file system FAILED. I took the card out of the tablet and attempted to format it to EXT4 with Linux "Disks". That failed. I received some error messages too. I also tried re-formatting the MicroSD card back to exFAT by using a Windows 10 computer. That also failed. I believe, however unlikely, that part of the failure could be attributed to the SD adapter card??????? Anyway, after re-installing the MicroSD card back into the Android tablet, I was able to re-format it back to exFAT and it now works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the experiment failed, I have done some additional research. Below are some results from an internet search for future reference.

------------------------------
    Formatting MicroSD/SD cards to EXT in Linux | Best Practice?

From the thread above:
    mke2fs -t ext4 -O ^has_journal /dev/sdf1
    Also see this post: Formatting 128GB SD card to ext4 with gparted.

Note the use of:
    lsblk
    to identify the device.

Getting the MicroSD card formatted as an EXT4 files system is only half the issue. The other issue is whether the Android device will recognize a MicroSD card formatted in this manner.

---------------------------------

Based on the research results so far, I think that I will postpone pursing this approach. Specifically, the MicroSD will be "locked" in the Asus ZenPad tablet so there really won't be much of an opportunity to use it outside of the tablet.

Last edited by Steve R.; 10-30-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Addtional Thoughts on October 30, 2017.