See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do y'all use to develop?

First of all, yes I am Texan, hence the "y'all" word I am a programmer in the sense that someone that golfs three times year calls themselves a "hacker", as in, I do it strictly as a hobby and just do small fun things when I want (kids for the games, plug-ins for firefox, stuff for our family web site, etc.) and was curious as to what y'all use for programming for Android devices? My wife has some neat ideas, and I might want to create some sort of "family scheduling" app of some sorts and would like a nice place to start. Thank you in advance for any information, advice, or edumacation!! I do know computers, software, and in a sense programming, so I will understand the lingo, but I would appreciate pointing me in the right direction. Thanks again,

Earl
    akaKingESS

Some application developers use Eclipse.

Device(s)
    Asus transformer
    I'm using the "android-mode" for emacs
    https://github.com/remvee/android-mo...ndroid-mode.el

1 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up

I'm guessing the OP is referring to SDK's/libraries/compilers. I'd like to know too. I'm even more of an amateur programmer, but might be fun/handy.
    (Now I seen the link in the previous post.)
    If Android is based on Linux, does that mean you can get it's source code and build your own version?

Last edited by Weapon S; 05-29-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Device(s)
    Asus transformer
    Quote Originally Posted by Weapon S View Post
    I'm guessing the OP is referring to SDK's/libraries/compilers. I'd like to know too. I'm even more of an amateur programmer, but might be fun/handy.
    If Android is based on Linux, does that mean you can get it's source code and build your own version?
    Android SDK + instructions: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Android source code: http://source.android.com/index.html

Device(s)
    Asus transformer
    EDIT: Wrong forum, but a sticky with official dev links would still be nice

Last edited by jens; 05-29-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: very weird forum glitch

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon S View Post
    Android releases comes with a linux kernel specifically for that version. That is a modified version of original linux kernel based on the device and the compatibility with that particular android source code version. If you would modify the linux kernel source code along with it, then you would have to check the android source code to see that it will have no conflict with the hardware accessing codes that uses it; these are the user space C++ codes being called by the upper java codes and usually in the libs folder.

Regards,
    archieval

Can you use something other than java to program for android?

Device(s)
    Android Dev Phone 1, Motorola Droid
    There are other tools you can use to develop on Android so it will run native code, but you'll still have to use the Native Development Kit (NDK).

http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/overview.html

Device(s)
    Android Dev Phone 1, Motorola Droid

Eclipse

I'm using Eclipse on Windows 7. I have set up my iMac and an Ubuntu desktop for development, but I keep going back to my Windows laptop because it's my main computer.

I have read that one can use any Java IDE he chooses, but Eclipse is officially supported by Google and no book I've seen on Android development uses anything other than Eclipse. Eclipse is a pretty full-featured IDE anyway, and the Android plugins make development much easier.

Hello again all, first off I would like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions, I currently use Eclipse for some other development, so that won't be much of a learning curve for me. Also, the sticky idea was excellent for some people that may want to give it a go, sort of a "here are different ways to do it, and good luck" kind of sticky. Also, on that note, I am familiar with emacs (obviously being a Linux fan/user), so thanks for that tip. Glad to see that although this is a fairly new forum, the interactivity is pretty fluid and lots of people are already contributing!!!! Let's keep this up, fellow AQ & LQ fans!!!

Last edited by akakingess; 06-03-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: stupid spelling error ;)

Where do you run the apps? I am trying to find any emulators ...

Device(s)
    Asus transformer
    Quote Originally Posted by arzvi View Post
    Where do you run the apps? I am trying to find any emulators ...
    The Android SDK package includes an easy GUI emulator (using AVD).

AVD: http://developer.android.com/guide/d...ces/index.html
    GUI emulator (based on avd with qemu support): http://developer.android.com/guide/d.../emulator.html

Last edited by jens; 06-13-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added links

openSUSE 11.4 / Eclipse / Android SDK

Or you could download Virtual Box, & then download an Android ISO. As w/a Linux ISO, you should be able to install directly from the ISO into the VB.