I notice that when my 'phone mounts a new filesystem, it adds two directories to it: .Android and lost.dir. I understand lost.dir is basically the Unix "lost+found" directory, and presume .Android also serves some useful purpose. However, when all I want to do is copy files from a drive, they are superfluous. Is there any not-too-onerous way to prevent these directories being generated?

The reason I ask is the first time I plugged in en external drive I discovered an edge case that caused a loss of data when the new directories were created.

[Longish explanation] The drive was an SD card in a camera, formatted as vFAT. I'd discovered in the past that one directory on the card did not show up when plugged into a smart TV, but the same directory worked properly when mounted by the camera or by a Linux PC. I'm old enough to have used a lot of floppies and one or two cheaply-made mp3 players, and have seen similar weirdness before so I didn't worry too much about it.

I plugged the camera into my 'phone, and could browse the card's contents but that directory (the one with all the pictures in it) was missing. Unfortunately, by then the 'phone had already used what it considered free space to create the two directories mentioned above, and overwritten the directory's entry. When I unmounted the card, the camera had lost over 200 pictures taken during an epic 3-day trip.

Fortunately they were almost all recoverable once I'd installed the right tool on a friend's laptop.

If I'd guessed that Android would write to the card I'd probably have used the write-protect tab, especially as I'd had prior warning that something was wrong with the card, but I was in the mindset of "only going to read" and wasn't cautious enough. [/longish explanation]

To be clear I don't blame my 'phone or Android, but this was a case of an unnecessary operation causing trouble. Is it something that can be turned off?