See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Detect If other person has app installed??

Hello!

I am new to android developement and am developing an app for a college project which can encrypt sms messages before they are sent to another phone and when they are received the app will decrypt them before the user reads them.

I am wondering if there is a way to detect from your phone if the other user has this app installed. Eg I do not want to encrypt the message if the user does not have this app as they will not be able to decrypt it!

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Droidx, Xoom and Comcast MIFI Hotspot
    Can the app query an online Database of those that have downloaded an have registered the app?

Quote Originally Posted by john test View Post
    Can the app query an online Database of those that have downloaded an have registered the app?
    +1 That would be your best option.

Yeah. It's the similar method being used by messaging apps like Viber and Whatsapp. They have an online database that would keep a record of who has registered the app. You can link it via phone number so that it would be recognized by the app easier by using the contact list. If that number exists in your contact, it would be able to notify you that that number is using the app in question.

1 members found this post helpful.

Device(s)
    Galaxy tab, i9003
    That seems like a hassle. Why not just send an encrypted email. you can enter more details into it. Plus, if you use SMS, you can only include so much code in one message. You might actually spend too much in sms cost just to send one encrypted message via plain SMS

i don't know if there's an app like that for android but i think iphone does. :/