See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Sync with Linux applications

Can anyone tell me about any Linux applications that are useful for use with an Android phone in terms of syncing my data (contacts, etc). I'm trying not to go down the road of keeping my life on Google servers so whenever there's an alternative I'd like to use it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
    Frankly, if you don't want your life on Google's servers, you shouldn't have gotten an Android device. Pretty much everything in Android makes the assumption you have a Google Account, and more or less everything you do on the device is recorded.

There are a few applications (like "GO Contacts") that aim to replace Contacts and Dialer with non-Google versions. Though I am not sure how trusting a completely unknown company to your info is any better than Google. Alternately, you could manually import contacts into the stock Android Contacts application from a file on the SD card. You could write up some scripts to push an updated contact list to SD via ADB every so often, then just manually re-import them in Android.

Quote Originally Posted by MS3FGX View Post
    Frankly, if you don't want your life on Google's servers, you shouldn't have gotten an Android device. Pretty much everything in Android makes the assumption you have a Google Account, and more or less everything you do on the device is recorded.

There are a few applications (like "GO Contacts") that aim to replace Contacts and Dialer with non-Google versions. Though I am not sure how trusting a completely unknown company to your info is any better than Google. Alternately, you could manually import contacts into the stock Android Contacts application from a file on the SD card. You could write up some scripts to push an updated contact list to SD via ADB every so often, then just manually re-import them in Android.
    There are non-phone and non-network devices on the market using Android. These, at least, need to be considered miniature computers, and Android apparently fits the bill for a trimmed down, yet reasonably powerful, system to run them with. Think of it as a high-end embedded OS. No need to run a full blown Linux kernel (or glibc or other bloat) on a portable MP3 player or whatever it might be.

1 members found this post helpful.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
    How does that have any relation to this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by MS3FGX View Post
    How does that have any relation to this topic?
    That should be obvious. I don't yet have an Android device, but when I get one,I don't expect to put all of my personal contacts on some google server, but keep them on my own device under lock and key. If it is not a phone, and has only limited contact to the internet (for instance through wifi - when and where it is available) There is even more need to be able to sinc through my own equipment, rather than through google, or some other internet connection.

I use SMEserver v8 beta http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page with the Horde additions for Calendar. This system supports syncml and I run the commercial synthesys syncml client on my android phone (Samsung Captivate). I tried the Funambol sync client but I could not figure out how to import my self signed certificate to work SSL so I bought the Synthesys client. I think there is also a personal syncml server that you could run on your desktop but I was already using smeserver for my email system so I never tried it. Good luck with your search and report back if you manage to get a good working solution.

Julian

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
    It isn't obvious, since the Android experience on something like a media player or eBook reader is completely different than Android on a phone. Android on a phone requires you to activate the device with a Google account and sync everything to be useful, while Android for embedded devices generally doesn't even ask you for a Google account.

Though I am not sure why you would need your contacts synced to your media player or eBook reader in the first place.

I just purchased an Android no-contract phone to use as a replacement for my PalmOS pda. I am using it with a PCLinuxOS KDE4 computer. If all you are looking to do is to backup your data directly to a machine under your control, you can just connect the Android to the Computer by usb and use your favorite file manager. Some Android devices may not come with a file manager for transferring data between their removable media and the internal files, but similar file managers can be downloaded from the Market for free. I have not yet investigated synching directly between the Android device and Linux apps.

Like others, I have yet to find the Android apps which will replace my Palm OS. Specifically, I need a synchronizable book-keeping app; I keep having to boot to Windows just to sync Quickbooks from my Palm. My dream would be to sync an Android app with Ledger-SMB or SQL-Ledger which I currently use for company books. As a second choice I could maybe deal with an export>import xml or csv file of transactions. Finally, another Quickbooks-type desktop would be a backup thing which might help personal transactions. Book keeping on the move is a *Big Thing.* I do host SQL-Ledger online but I'm afraid if I used it online the checkout cashiers would give me looks of a nastiness-scale of around 8 [fuming], rather than the current Palm OS's 1 [mild interest] to 2 [is this creep some kind of inspector?].
    There, that's my wish-list post for today. Saves me real time, worry and money.
    By comparison, my daughter's IPhone has a "Fart-Button" app which asks her to import her locality information and which for some reason needs to connect to the Internet.
    That's an example of something I have never felt a pressing need for.

Device(s)
    Motorola Triumph Android 2.2.2
    Android=Google

But there are 3rd party apps that allow you to sync, not sure why you would trust them any more than you would Google.

Android Sync Manager WiFi - Android Market - https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    Android Sync Manager - http://global.mobileaction.com/product/product_AM.jsp

DeskSMS (Free Beta) - Android Market - https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

A search using the term 'sync' on Market>
    sync - Android Market - https://market.android.com/search?q=sync&so=1&c=apps