seeking help sorting my address book and contacts mess

My address book and contacts are a mess. all of the several sources of details, migrations from phone to phone, and linkage with various online accounts has left me with a snarled pile of bits. Can someone help me sort out my contacts?

In some cases I have 5 or 6 editions of details for the same person. In some cases, I have people that the contact-finder will never locate but that show up routinely as caller-ID or message-ID. Who knows which edition of the contact details has the contact photo attached ... **this** call or message?

I can export all of my contacts to uSD, move them to a workstation and sort the various CSV files into one cohesive mass. I could then load that mass back to my phone.
    1. How do I completely wipe away everything the phone thinks it knows about contacts so that I only have the known-good details?
    2. How do I completely turn off linking and syncing with anything else while I'm sorting all of this out?
    3. Do I load the newly sorted mass back into the "phone" address book? Then copy from "phone" to "sim"? (I know the SIM only stores name+number pairs not details.)
    4. Will Android sync from "phone" to Gmail contacts automatically or are there steps I need to take for this to happen?
    5. Do I need to wipe my Gmail contact list before I accomplish this phone->Gmail transfer?
    6. (rhetorically) Why did this get so complicated in the interests of making things easy for the end-user?

I run 90+% linux ( Ubuntu 10.04, Mint-11 and Mint-12 ) on my workstations and only use win-dose when I absolutely must.
    Can someone mention desktop address book applications that might help me with the sorting of CSV contact details?

Wishing all health and prosperity for 2012,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 http://googlevoiceforcanadians.com/
    So many questions - so little time!

NB: I am a complete newbie to this smartphone stuff!

Here is what I would do:

1. Back up you phone with Kies or something else.
    2. Create a new Gmail Account. (You could use your existing Gmail Account if you have one.)
    3. Set up your new Gmail Account on your phone and enable syncing.
    4. Open the 'Contacts' app on your phone
    5. Choose 'Menu', then 'Import/Export'
    6. Choose 'Import from SIM card'.
    7. Choose your new Gmail Account.
    8. After the import has completed, log into your new Gmail Account and go to 'Contacts' - all 6 million of your contacts should be there!
    9. Click the 'More' dropdown and select 'Find and merge duplicates'.
    10. Review, edit, add & delete your contacts until you are happy with the list.

Now, you should have a perfect list of 'Contacts' living in your new Gmail Account. Set this new account up on your phone and enable syncing.

You can 'turn off' your SIM card contacts by going to the 'Contact' app and then 'Menu' --> 'More' --> 'Display Options' --> 'SIM' and uncheck 'All contacts'.

NB: I am a complete newbie to this smartphone stuff!

I believe that you can delete your SIM card contacts by using Kies: (Windows or Mac, not linux - well, maybe with Wine?)

1. Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
    2. Start Kies on your PC.
    3. Once it connects, select 'Contacts'.
    4. On the 'Contacts screen' click 'SIM' - all your sim contact should appear.
    5. Check the box beside 'Display Name' - all your sin contacts will be checked.
    6. Click 'Delete' (next to 'New contact') at the top.
    7. Once all your SIM Contacts are deleted, select 'Save to device'.

This will empty your SIM card contacts.

HTH

Last edited by Robert.Thompson; 01-09-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
    Rob. (A complete android newbie!)

Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 ICS I9100XWLP3

My Blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

I did something similar, but did not use a new google account. What i did was to export all my contacts into a CSV file, then kept a copy on my computer. I deleted all contacts from my phone and also deleted all contacts on the Gmail account.

I then went ahead an imported my CSV file to the GMAIL account contacts list. (in the meantime, i turned off my phone's data so it won't sync yet.)

Then I sorted out the mess from Gmail contacts either my merging or deleting uneeded contacts.

When I'm done, I would turn on the phone and the fixed contacts would sync to my device.

wow so many questions!

i want to answer it but wait did the replies helped you?

Quote Originally Posted by turon34 View Post
    I did something similar, but did not use a new google account. What i did was to export all my contacts into a CSV file, then kept a copy on my computer. I deleted all contacts from my phone and also deleted all contacts on the Gmail account.

I then went ahead an imported my CSV file to the GMAIL account contacts list. (in the meantime, i turned off my phone's data so it won't sync yet.)

Then I sorted out the mess from Gmail contacts either my merging or deleting uneeded contacts.

When I'm done, I would turn on the phone and the fixed contacts would sync to my device.
    What did you do about contact specific photos?
    Are you using the Google contact list exclusively or do you rely on the "Phone" address book?
    It seems that many on-phone search and contact-pop-up features rely on the "Phone" data.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slickstyle View Post
    wow so many questions!

i want to answer it but wait did the replies helped you?
    I continue to fight with this. I want the "Phone" address book -- not "SIM" and not "Google" -- to be the master data.
    The phone keeps trying to sync with all sorts of social services even though I turn that off. From time to time, a search
    reports that it cannot find someone. At some other time, it finds that same contact somewhere in Google or other social
    media -- Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, etc. The next thing I know, the "Phone" address book has garbage for contacts.

~~~ 8d;-/ Dan